38

"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon and the truth."

38|Can I have this dance?

I had managed to make it through another three months without setting off Annastacia or telling anyone about the blackmail she had against me. Assignments had come and go, walking around in the corridors had gotten easier and all-in-all, people still believed that Annastacia and I were actually friends. 

Other than having to walk one step behind her when I was next to her and listen to her annoying voice through the entire school day, the predicament I was in was a little less than horrific.

The only good thing that had come out of this entire situation was the fact that Macy had become one of the few people I considered a friend. We talked as if we had known each other since the beginning of high school and in these few months she had probably learnt more about me than Annastacia ever would.

Jake and I were still taking it slow and since our first date, we had only kissed two other times. Sure he kissed my cheek and forehead every once in a while, but other than that, talking was our main activity together. 

I had learnt a lot more about him. It turned out that he loved anime and would choose reading comics over watching television any day. He smiled way more when he was tired and always got a bit teary-eyed when I mentioned my dad. But he never cried - never since that day at the junkyard.

A year ago, I would never have kept secrets from someone so close to me, but for some reason , I was finding this secrecy way easier than it should have been. I was changing and I wasn't exactly sure that I liked it.

The days were passing faster and faster and it was almost time for our end-of-year finals. Two more months and I would be toast but what worried me even more was prom.

... Prom that was only four days away.

Of course I wasn't going to subtly remind Jake that it was close by. I had way too much pride for that. What I really wanted was for him to remember and come up with this big gesture that took my breath away, but it didn't look like he would come around anytime soon.

But what I wanted more was to go with Jake to this dance and if that was what I really wanted, I had to come up with a way to make sure that I would be going with him. And it had to happen fast.

So, I devised a plan...

● ● ●

"Macy, is it ready?"

Macy turned to face me quickly. Her blue eyes were sparking with nerves and for the first time, her hair was not perfectly done. 

"If you can't see, I'm trying my best but this stupid machine is taking forever to fix." She stuck her head back into her work, leaving me to deal with my own heart palpatations. 

I looked over at Macy nervously, hearing as she cussed yet again at the machine. "It'll be done in time right?" I asked, trying my best to catch a glimpse of her work.

Macy didn't reply and for a long while, all I heard was her sounds of protest. "Yeah, yeah, sure." She finally mumbled, still completely consumed in the little mass of metal she was holding.

I sighed, turning back towards the empty parking lot. Macy had assured me that she was good at mechanics. I was starting to doubt her judgement.

"One more turn." She mumbled for the fourth time since she touched the thing. "Just one more." Seconds later, she threw her hands into the air, music box in hand, and cried out happily. "I told you!"