25

"I won't let these little things slip out of my mouth, but it's you they add up to."

Little things, One Direction

25|Ice Cream Battles and Rainbow Kisses

It was Saturday afternoon and I was doing what I usually did on a Saturday afternoon. Studying.

Or trying to at least.

I was silently trying to read through the handwritten notes that Jake had made for me, but knowing Jake, I should have remembered that his messy scrawl was practically unreadable.

Just like his personality at times, I thought to myself, trailing off topic for the hundredth that day. You have more important things  than Jake's personality to worry about, Katie.

I squinted down at the paper bringing it closer to my face to try and decipher Jake's handwriting.

Does that say 'hatred' or 'hat trick'?

I brought the paper even closer to my face, but still my luck was no better than what it was during my first try.

"Fuck it." I muttered, but as soon as I realized what I said, I threw my hands over my mouth in regret.

"Shit." I mentally face palmed myself. That wasn't any better. "Not again." I mumbled into my hands.

It had become harder to control my swearing habits these days. It usually slipped so easily when I was frustrated.

I grabbed my phone from my dressing table and looked through the contacts, searching for one in particular.

"Fuck." I muttered, but this time I didn't bother repremanding myself. I had forgotten that I didn't have Jake's number on my phone. I bit my lip in concentration. That's when an idea came to mind.

"Instagram!" I beamed brightly. I jumped onto my bed and slipped my laptop out of its hiding spot under my pillow.

With the laptop now placed on my lap, I opened Instagram and searched Jake's name. He was already one of my friends so I sent him a quick message.

I waited patiently for a whole five minutes.

Despite it being a Saturday and the fact that he should have had something to do, he replied immediately, sending his number through.

"Thank the skittle heavens!" I praised, before typing his number into my phone and calling him. It was amazing the things that social media could do.

He picked up after the second ring.

"Hey Kit. What's up?" I rolled my eyes at the ridiculous nickname and replied as if I hadn't heard it.

"Hey." I greeted hesitantly. "I was just going through the notes you gave me and I know this sounds bad, but I can't read anything you wrote." I explained briefly hoping that he'd catch onto my drift and not get offended somehow.

"So, do you want me to come over?" He asked after a few seconds of waiting for a reply. I breathed out a sigh of relief that he'd understood what I'd meant.

"Yeah, that would be great actually." I said smiling even though he couldn't see me. "And Jake?" I said, a thought coming to mind.

"Yes, Kit?" I rolled my eyes before replying.

"Could you pick up some cookie dough ice cream and skittles? I've been craving some. I'll pay you later. I promise." I asked hopefully.

I heard Jake chuckle from the other side of the phone. "Of course, Kit. Anything for you." My heart secretly melted when he said the words even though he used that horrible nickname again. He always managed to make my insides turn into jelly. I loved his sweet side.