24

"I played it cool when I was scared of letting go."

Say You Won't Let Go, James Arthur

24|Surprises and Bingo

"I really don't want to play bingo, gran." I said for what felt like the sixteenth time that day. I snuggled further under my blue covers.

Gran simply placed her wrinkled hands onto her hips and gave me a stern look.

"Well, you can't lay around on that bed whole day and plague your mind with what's on that computer screen." Gran came over to me and sat on the edge of my bed. She paused slightly and then her eyes widened as an idea came to mind. "If you do it, I'll give you some ice cream." She said, trying her best at a bribe. I rolled my eyes subtly at her attempts.

"Not interested." I said dismissively as I continued to scroll through my Instagram feed. A picture of Annastacia popped up and I immediately scrolled past it without a second thought.

That would surely plague my mind, Gran, I thought quietly. I made my way out of Instagram and grabbed my phone from my bedside table.

I checked my messages quickly. I happened to scroll through many unknown numbers expressing their sympathy for a person they barely knew. Me being that person.

My eyes snapped from the phone screen to gran's crystal blue gaze when she spoke.

"What are those things you're always eating? Your mother has an absolute obsession with keeping you away from them." She tapped her hand on her chin mockingly. "I'm sure it sounds something like 'skittens'--"

"Skittles, Grandmother! They're called skittles!" I said hurriedly, before she could torture me more with her teasing.

I only ever called Gran 'Grandmother' when I was frustrated, annoyed or feeling desperate, right then being one of those times.

My gran threw me a grin of victory and tilted her head to the side, examining me as if I was a bird in a cage.

She trapped me, alright.

"I wonder... would you want some of those?" She asked already knowing what my answer would be.

"Yes! I'll do anything!" I practically screamed, my voice echoing through the bedroom. I started shoving the covers off of my legs and making my way to the bathroom to freshen up.

I heard gran mutter under her breath, "Well, that was easier than I thought." I didn't care though, because I still hadn't had skittles in these past four days that I had been staying home.

Speaking of, it was almost time for me to go back to school. It was Friday and I would be back to working in a classroom on Monday.

As soon as I got into my bathroom, I ran a comb through my hair and splashed my face with water. The cold feeling woke me up immediately.

I started undressing quickly for the fear that gran might change her mind. As I did so, I caught sight of the pink scars on my arms and hands.

I shied away from the mirror, disgusted by what I saw and jumped into the shower.

● ● ●

"I didn't think you meant actual old people bingo." I said quietly under my breath as Gran and I walked into the room full of old timers.

"I heard that!" Gran whisper-shouted over her shoulder. "And don't knock it until you've tried, Kathy." She continued, making use of the nickname she had used for me since I was younger.