34

"Threats alone, are the weapons of a threatened man

"Threats alone, are the weapons of a threatened man."

Leonardo da Vinci

34|Threats and Sugar Sweet Smiles

The air was humid on Monday morning. It was probably going to rain soon and I wasn't going to stay outside to find out how the water felt against my skin.

My feet trampled the dry leaves that had fallen from the trees as I stormed towards the double doors of my high school. Anger ran through my veins and I could feel the heat flood my cheeks. The halls were filled to the brim with groups of chatting teenagers oblivious of the red I was seeing.

My entire Sunday had been plagued with thoughts of Annastacia and the threat my mother had dangled in front of my eyes. Just thinking of having to talk to Annastacia made the pit in my stomach contract.

I shoved people when they got in my way and ignored the ones who whined in protest. Today, I had one objective.

Confront Annastacia Roberts.

I found her at her locker with her minions floating around her like a protective barrier. When was she ever alone?

"Oh, Anna." I hollered down the hall, trying to ignore the sudden amount of eyes on me. I told myself to calm down. I could handle a few stares. I could get through this without panicking. I had to.

She turned her eyes to me and threw me a smug grin over her shoulder. "Kat! What a surprise!" She exclaimed, giving me her full attention and placing her perfectly manicured fingers onto her hips.

"Can I talk to you?" She raised a sculpted brow in question and shrugged her shoulders in agreement, but stayed exactly where she was. "In private?" I added quickly, knowing that Annastacia would take any opportunity to humiliate me in front of a crowd.

The eyes on me were starting to become unnerving and I desperately wanted to go someplace where I wasn't being examined like a science experiment.

"Sure, bestie." She said cheerfully, tricking everybody with a fake smile. I gritted my teeth, ignoring the snide comment that was floating around my head and so desperately wanted to leave my lips.

I started walking and didn't look back to see if she was following me. If I had, I would have inevitably caught the eyes of some curious bystander. Having yet another panic attack at school wasn't exactly on my to-do list for the day.

Once I was in a more secluded area in the school, I stopped and turned my body slightly. Annastacia's heels were loud and echoed down the corridor. Every click sent a shiver down my spine, forcing my heart to pick up speed. For a split second, I looked down and examined my brown ankle boots. My eyes drifted to Annastacia's blood red heels, stationary now that she had stopped walking.