| 04. las vegas

"when a magician waves his hand and says, 'this is where the magic is happening', the real trick is happening somewhere else."

*********

"MISS KING, YOU'RE ON IN 5." One of the stage crew people knocked on her door.

Maeve finished applying mascara before slipping on her 4 inch black matte heels. Her dress was a mid-thigh black dress with lace sleeves that showed off her curves. Maeve adjusted the fingerless leather glove on her right hand before walking out of the dressing room.

One year passed and Maeve's entire life changed for the better. She became one of the most well known people in the magic industry along with Henley, Daniel (now called Danny), Merritt, and Jack.

Everyone who were once strangers to Maeve became her second family.

Merritt was like a fatherly figure to her more than anyone ever was.

Henley instantly became her best friend after the time Maeve defend her against Danny back at the apartment.

Danny and Maeve are still working on their relationship, but he became her big brother.

As for Jack, well, things are really complicated. He definitely is considered more to her than a brother.

"Merritt McKinney, Daniel Atlas, Henley Reeves, Jack Wilder, Maeve King."

Hearing the announcer say her name made Maeve smile, just like every other performance.

Henley did her hair like always: she curled Maeve's long dark brown ombré hair and gave her hair a dutch braid on her right side before pinning it back and letting the rest of her hair flow down her back.

Maeve made her way down the hallway and walked into the room that led everyone backstage.

As she walked in, everyone's eyes turned to her. Maeve held her head high and strut into the room. Someone in the back gave her a wolf whistle, which made Henley laugh and grab Maeve's hands. "You look gorgeous." "Thanks." She smiled.

Out of the corner of her eye, Maeve saw Merritt stomp over to the guy that whistled. Danny just watched in amusement as he mind-controlled him.

"Next time you picture Maeve like that, you will see me. Naked." He smacked the guy's forehead and walked back over. He reached Maeve with a big smile on his face. "Hey pumpkin."

Maeve rolled her eyes and turned around to look for Jack. "Looking for me?" She turned around and her eyes met with the famous smirk she has come to love. "Hey." Jack gave her a smile. "You look beautiful." After all those months, he can still make her blush.

"Arthur Tressler and the MGM proudly presents: The Five Horsemen."

"Break a leg." Maeve gave him a kiss on the cheek and walked out onto the stage beside Danny. Jack stood there with a dreamy expression until he finally came to his senses and quickly walked onto the stage behind everyone else.

Like every show, each magician performed a trick that they handpicked for that special night. With Danny, it was his card tricks. With Merritt, it was his mind control. With Henley, it was her escape act. With Jack, it was different every time. With Maeve, she made herself levitate.

That was only the beginning.

They were getting the crowd pumped up for the last trick that they were going to do. Maeve fiddled with her hair, it was a habit of hers when she became nervous. Henley didn't like it because sometimes it would mess up the hair style she worked really hard on.

Jack saw this and immediately took her hand, holding it inside of his. Covering his mic, he whispered. "You'll be fine."

Maeve gave him a grateful smile as Merritt saw their encounter. He jokingly pointed them out to the audience. "Look how cute they are." The crowd cheered for the two young magicians.

Merritt added. "Too bad they aren't dating." That caused a riot in the room, the audience not agreeing with Jack's choice.

Someone screamed, "Ask her out already!" Everyone else shouted out the same thing.

Henley walked across the stage. "I agree, Jack. Why don't you ask her out already?" "It's been forever to say the least." Danny jumped off of the main part of the stage and walked towards Merritt.

Jack pondered before looking down at Maeve and smiled, "Okay."

The crowd screamed out loud and Maeve's eyes almost popped out of her head. "W-wha-?" Jack held both of her hands and knelt down on one knee. Speaking into the mic attached to his ear, Jack asked, "Maeve King, will you go on a date with me?"

The crowd awed at Jack's choice to ask out his crush. Maeve's head started spinning as the crowd started chanting for her to say yes. With a straight face, Maeve finally made up her mind. "No."

Danny started laughing while Henley glared at her from the other side of the stage. Merritt laughed along with Danny, "At least he had the balls."

Jack looked at Maeve, shock written all over his features as he remained unable to move. The audience 'boo'ed at her choice.

Since she couldn't keep a straight face any longer, Maeve broke out laughing. "I'm kidding. Of course I'll go out with you."

Jack breathed out in relief and pumped his fist in the air. "She said yes!!" The crowd went absolutely berserk and so did Jack; he picked Maeve up and spun her around.

"Hey buddy." Merritt walked over to the new couple and pulled Jack away. "Keep your hands to yourself." Jack nervously nodded. "Yes sir."

Merritt took Maeve and walked with her to the other side of the stage. "Who does he think he is?" He asked the crowd. "Thinking he can get away with that without asking me first." The crowd laughed along to his joke, at least everyone though it was.

"Okay folks." Merritt went on with the show. "Now we will like to try something that will, well, set us all apart."

"For our final trick," Henley added. "We're gonna do something never before seen on a Las Vegas stage."

"Or any stage for that matter." Jack stated as he walked around the stage.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" Maeve walked up the four steps and onto the main part of the stage. "Tonight," She clapped her hands together.

"We are going to rob a bank."