| 16. on edge

"no one forgets the truth; they just get better at lying."

*********

DANNY TOOK ONE LOOK at the Blackberry phone in his hand before throwing it down. The phone bounced once and he crushed it under the sole of his shoe. He knew that the FBI most likely found out and started tracking the real phone.

Danny took Agent Rhodes' phone during the interview and switched it with another one. Using the decoy, the horsemen could track him, his calls and texts, and be, literally, 'one step ahead.'

"The fire wall is down." Henley announced. She typed away on the old blocked keyboard; her attention fixed mainly onto the computer. Everyone else around her tried getting rid of the evidence inside the apartment.

"Do they know about this?" Maeve questioned, frantically throwing papers into the fireplace.

"They who?"

"They, them, whoever the fuck they are." Maeve tugged at the ombré tips of her hair. Danny gave Maeve an irritated look, motioning for her to be more specific.

Maeve scoffed. "Whoever we're working for. Do they know?"

"Right," Merritt took everything from the desk and placed all of it in the 'burn' pile. "Who are we working for? And are we prepared to go to jail for them?"

"Okay, stop being paranoid."

"It really does happen." Merritt interjected. Danny rolled his eyes. "Yeah, it happened to you. Doesn't mean it's gonna happen to us."

He looked down at the large pile of un-burned documents, instantly becoming ticked off and miffed that they weren't all taken care of. He specifically laid those down 5 minutes ago.

Picking up the entire pile, Danny shoved them into the person next to him, whom he assumed was Jack. "Jack, I thought I told you to fucking burn these! What-"

Maeve yelped as a large stack of papers were shoved into her chest. She stumbled back in fear. Danny stopped, noticing his mistake.

Danny's angry expression turned into embarrassment and slight shock. "I-I didn't- you-" He was at a loss of words and stopped himself from going any further. "Sorry." Danny quietly apologized and turned around.

Jack removed another stack of papers, finding his Death tarot card laying on the surface of the dusty table. Fear and apprehension came flooding into his mind.

What if all of this was for nothing?

"Guys I don't know if I can do this." Jack looked at them nervously from the other room. "I don't want to go to jail, you know?" His New York accent almost hid the slight panic in his voice, but Maeve knew him.

"Then don't screw it up." Danny snapped at him. "You're always talking about wanting to be treated like an adult. Now might be a good time to start acting like one. Stick to the plan: stay here and burn it all."