| 15. escaping the feds

"and meanwhile time goes about its immemorial work of making everyone look and feel like shit."

*********

MAEVE CHOSE THE WRONG DAY to wear a miniskirt. Let alone a tight one made of leather.

Everyone was running down the fire escape on the side of the building, trying not to get caught by the FBI and Interpol. They could all hear sirens blaring in the distance.

Maeve looked behind her and saw Agent Dray chasing after them with the same speed the horsemen were running. Maeve managed to run faster than the rest and jumped over the wall. Landing on her feet, she continued to run. "Split up!" Danny shouted. "Meet at the place we talked about!"

All five of them split and ran in different directions. Maeve ran through the sea of people, not daring to look back to see if she was being chased.

The plan was to meet behind the Napoleon House. Now, the plan might be jeopardized due to all of the agents and cops running around in the streets.

Maeve weaved through the people in masks and costumes. All around her, FBI agents were shouting orders. Out of the corner of her eyes, she caught sight of Danny running in the opposite direction.

Maeve ran and ran until she saw the building in her view. Relieved, she didn't notice an officer coming up from behind her.

"You have the right to remain silent!" Maeve's heartbeat leaped in surprise as the officer grabbed her arm, pulling her back. She felt cold metal tighten onto her wrists. It didn't take a genius to figure out that they were handcuffs.

She was caught.

"Dammit." Maeve looked around to see if any other agents around. No one was in sight except for a few drunks and some people in masks.

Danny peeked through the opening between the Napoleon House and the building next to it. "Shit." He muttered when he saw Maeve in the hands of an FBI agent.

"What is it?" Jack asked from behind him. So far, Maeve was the only one who wasn't at the meeting place. Danny moved aside, giving room for Jack to see what was going on.

"Maeve's caught." Jack took off his costume hat and threw it onto the ground. "Dammit!"

Merritt held his hands out in front of him, trying to calm Jack. "Calm down there, buddy..." He picked up the hat. "We'll figure something out."

"You're coming with me." The other horsemen heard the agent. They all crowded around the small crack to see what's going on.

Maeve groaned before muttering. "I'm sorry." The agent gave her a confused look. "What do you-"

Maeve twisted around and hit his head with her own, making him let go of her arm and hold his hand to his head in pain. The agent wobbled around, trying to regain his balance.

"Holy shit." Danny let out, surprised to see Maeve fighting back. Especially since it was an officer of the law.

The small girl is full of surprises.