| 17. broken heart in cold waters

"nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change."

*********

MAEVE GOT TO THE WAREHOUSE earlier than the others, which shocked her since Henley, Danny, and Merritt left before her.

Dropping her leather jacket on one of the chairs, she plopped herself down onto the couch. All of this running made her exhausted. Maeve had the taxi driver drop her off a block away so that he wouldn't see where their secret hideout was.

Maeve thought for a moment and took out her phone to text Henley.

Where are you guys?

After a few seconds passed, she knew that Henley wasn't going to reply any time soon. Maeve's eyes caught sight of a remote on the floor of the warehouse. Picking it up, she sat back down on the couch and powered on the TV.

Maeve flicked through channels one by one.

"We're coming to you live from the FDR where NYPD and Federal agents that you now see are engaged in a high speed pursuit following a black Sedan."

Those words captured her attention. From the mention of a black Sedan, she knew that it was one of the FBI's cars. Runaway meaning that someone hijacked it and Maeve only knew one person who could do that.

The TV showed the car speeding across the bridge in Manhattan, the FBI following not too far behind. Maeve placed a hand over her mouth. "Oh my god." Her eyes couldn't tear away from the screen.

Just from watching, Maeve knew that it was Jack in the car. She bit down on her bottom lip, praying that he would make it out safely. After a few seconds, Maeve could taste the tang of blood in her mouth from biting down too hard.

Maeve watched as the black Sedan drove towards the dividers on the Manhattan bridge. The next thing she saw was the car turning too fast.

Maeve wished she closed her eyes.

Once.

Twice.

The runaway car with her boyfriend inside flipped around so many times that Maeve couldn't count anymore.

The car landed upside down in the middle of the bridge. The TV cameras caught sight of Agent Rhodes' feeble attempt to try and save Jack. He sprinted to the flaming black Sedan and crouched under, reaching to try pulling Jack's body out of the car.

The other workers shouted at him to leave the car and the lifeless body where it was. Maeve watched as Agent Rhodes managed to grab a few documents from the car and run the opposite way of the car's direction.

They were all only a couple feet away before the car blew up, bursting into flames.

"Oh my god." Maeve covered her mouth with both of her hands, not believing what just happened.