| epilogue: bittersweet

"she was the beginning, the in-between but never the end."

*********

JACK LOOKED AT THE OTHER horsemen, feeling excited that he was accepted into the Eye.

He looked around for Maeve, wanting to share this special moment with her despite what happened earlier. He did a full 360 turn, looking for the love of his life.

She was nowhere in sight. "Shit."

Henley looked at Jack's pale face. Merritt and Danny stopped their jittery conversation and turned their attention to the boy.

"Maeve's gone."

The news hit everyone hard. "What do you mean?" Henley looked around for the familiar female face. "She was here a minute ago." Henley walked over to Jack's side to see if she was around the corner.

No luck.

Jack ran out of the carousel and into the dimly lit Central Park, frantically looking around for Maeve. He called out her name several times with no response. The eerie silence surrounded him.

"Maeve!" Jack shouted, his voice cracking. His eyes searched every shadow, every lit spot, and every bench.

A hand was placed on his shoulder. "She's gone, Jack." Merritt gave him a doleful look.

Jack knew that this would happen; he just didn't believe it until someone finally said it out loud.

Maeve was gone and she wasn't coming back.

Danny and Henley watched them from afar. Jack collapsed to his knees in tears, Merritt bending down and rubbing his back in comfort.

Danny walked over and sat down on a wooden bench besides the carousel. He hung his head low with his arms resting on his thighs. "This is all my fault." His voice wavered slightly.

Henley sat down next to Danny, grabbing his hand and leaning into him in comfort. Her own heart broke from both losing her best friend and watching Danny beat himself up over the situation.

The two sat there, listening to Jack's sobs as he sat on the concrete ground. Merritt was beside him, comforting him and trying to pull him up.

Henley tugged on Danny's arm, giving him a nod. Danny immediately knew what she was trying to say. Henley pulled him up with her and they both walked to Jack.

"Jack." Henley lowered her voice, seeing him in his broken state. "We have to go."

Merritt tried raising Jack up again. "Hen is right, we have to go to the carousel."

"No." Jack pushed Merritt away and slumped back onto the ground. "I'm not leaving without her."

"We have to-"