| 07. birthday tequila shots

"a new year stands before us like a chapter in a book waiting to be written."

*********

"I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED." Maeve let out a dreamy sigh as she walked into their penthouse.

"That was amazing." Danny agreed with Henley and Merritt trailing behind him. Maeve plopped down on the couch and took off her heels. "Thank god I can take these off now."

Henley sat down next to her. "Amen to that." They both propped their feet up with the coffee table as everyone else was walking in.

Jack sat down on the other side of Maeve and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. When Merritt came in, he raised his eyebrow at them. "Well lookie here."

Henley looked beside Maeve and glared at Jack. "Back off. She's mine." Henley took Jack's arm and placed it back at his side. Then, she wrapped her arms around Maeve in a tight hug.

"Why can't we share her?" Jack whined and tried pulling Maeve back to his side. A tug-o-war broke out between the two in the couch. "Guys, you're hurting me." Maeve couldn't help but laugh at their childish banter.

"Hey, what did I tell you Wilder?" Merritt came over and grabbed Jack's collar, pulling him off of the couch and taking his place. "Hands off."

Jack groaned before retreating to the upstairs of their penthouse. Maeve glared playfully at the two sitting next to her. "You guys are so mean."

Merritt shrugged. "It's my job as dad to be a dick around your boyfriends."

"But you know him." She whined. Henley shook her head and detangled her arms from Maeve. "Doesn't matter. As best friend, my side is always on yours, not his."

The argument was cut short when Danny walked into the room. "Okay, let's go." Everyone started getting up, but Maeve was left in the dark. "Where are we going?"

************

"I can't believe you brought me here." Maeve groaned as they walked inside the club. "And I though my feet were free from these heels."

Danny took one of the shot glasses off of the waiter's tray and handed it to her. "We should be here to see you take your first shot."

They all made her sit down by the bar. Danny on one side, and Henley on the other. Merritt was standing behind her contemplating if it was a good idea. "Guys, she only 18."

"19 actually." Henley smiled before rubbing Maeve's arm. "Happy birthday." Maeve looked at the clock to see that it was indeed 12:45; after midnight. Maeve looked around. "Where's Jack?" As if on cue, Jack walks in with a box in his hand. "Looking for me?"

Maeve rolled her eyes at the line that he used before the show a couple hours earlier. "Yes I was actually." "I just went to get your present." Jack handed her a box before pressing his lips to her temple. "Happy birthday."

"Wow." Maeve looked down at the box. "We've only been dating for a few hours and you got me a present." Jack shook his head and laughed, taking his place next to Merritt. Merritt immediately took his place and stared him down.

"Alright." Danny clapped his hands. "Time for your first drink! Count down everybody."

"One."

Immediately, Maeve downed the shot glass and slammed it back onto the table. Everyone stood there in shock at what they just witnessed.

Maeve then realized that they didn't know she drank before. "Ooh it burns." She let out a fake raspy cough, but she knew that they didn't buy it.

Merritt glared at her. "Young lady, what do you have to say for yourself?" Maeve gave him a sheepish smile. "Fake ID?"

"Look at her." Henley nudged Maeve and smirked. "Not such a good girl as we thought."

Maeve shrugged. "I've been to a good amount of parties."

Jack let out a whistle. "Damn." Merritt smacked him on the head after he did that, which made Maeve laugh out loud.

"Well then, let's order more." Danny smiled at her. "Just make sure Maeve shows her fake." Everyone grabbed a shot glass from the bartender. Danny held his up. "A toast to a good show."

"More shows to come." Maeve raised her shot glass.

"Maeve's birthday." Jack wrapped his arm around Maeve as he held up his glass.

"The new couple." Merritt glared at them, but still held up his shot glass. He always had a soft spot for Maeve.

"And to reaching our goal." Henley finished the toast before bringing the glass up to her lips. Everyone did the same, downing the vodka in their shot glass.

When Maeve set hers down, Jack placed his hand under her chin and softly turned her to look at him. Maeve saw him stare at here with love and happiness before he close the gap between them.

Jack's kiss was soft and delicate, like he was afraid to break her. In the background a few other people in the club whistled and cheered for them. Maeve responded by wrapping her arms around his neck. Jack's hands slipped down to her waist, pulling them closer together.

"Ew." Merritt gagged as he saw them making out. "Rule number one of you two dating, don't make out in front of me." When they broke apart, Maeve jokingly breathed out. "If you don't like it, you can leave."

Merritt grumbled, "I'm getting a beer." He walked away into the crowd, Danny and Henley followed behind. Jack looked back down at Maeve and grinned. "Although we've been together for only 3 hours, I think I'm falling in love with you."

"Ditto." Maeve giggled before kissing him again.