Thirteen.

·*Flashback*· 

**October 10th, 2013** 

It was just another normal night at work for Landon. With his blue form-fitting polo and khaki jeans on, he sat behind the counter. He never intended on being a Wal-Mart cashier, but it paid the bills and put food on the table for Alaska and him. He kept picking up extra shifts, due to the fact that he needed to rent a tux for the wedding still.  

Let's just say he was a procrastinator. 

He sent a text to Alaska, before a mob of people arrived, telling him the late night rush was beginning. 

To: Alaska 

From: Landon 

Where are you? Are you at home? 

Landon was the protective brother. You could say he was overprotective. Alaska was all Landon had and if anything would to happen to her, he wouldn't know what to do with himself. So when Alaska got engaged, you can only imagine how he felt. By the time nine o'clock at night rolled around, Landon still hadn't heard anything from his sister. He was growing anxious and a bit paranoid. She usually replied. 

8:30 PM. 

Landon was in the process of checking out a customer, until he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. He looked at the lady he was helping, and asked if he could answer his phone. She nodded, allowing him to retrieve his phone.  

Incoming Call: Los Angeles Hospital 

Landon literally heard his heart drop to his stomach. His breath hitched and he forced back tears. Cautiously, he lifted the phone to his ear and answered it.  

"Hello?" Landon managed to answer. 

"Hello, this is Susan Mann at Los Angeles Hospital. Is this Landon Welsh?" 

"Yes." 

"Great. Mr.Welsh, we need you to come down to the hospital immediately." 

"Why? What's wrong?" Landon replied, paranoid. 

"Your sister, Alaska, has been in a car accident. We'll explain..." Landon drowned out the woman on the other line. He could feel his world crumbling around him. He looked at Daniel, the employee beside him, and pointed to his cash register. Daniel shut his lane off and sprinted towards Landon. Before he could ask what was wrong, Landon ran out of Wal-Mart and towards his car. 

"I will be there as fast as I can! Don't let ANYTHING happen to her!" Then he hung up and zipped out of the parking lot. He gripped the steering wheel tightly, as he sped down the road. At the stop light down the road from the hospital, Landon threw his head back and screamed. Why was this happening to him? What did you do to deserve this? He looked up at the sky and told Him not to take his sister.  

Once he was inside the hospital, he looked around for someone to tell him what was wrong with his sister. He found a petite girl with long brunette hair sitting behind a desk, so he went up and asked her.  

"I'm Landon Welsh. My sister is Alaska Welsh. Where is she?"  

"Sir, a doctor will be with here momentarily. Until then, please sit in the waiting room." Landon threw his head back and groaned, as he went to the waiting room and waited patiently. Ten minutes later, a doctor walked towards Landon. He stood up and walked towards the doctor, waiting patiently for him to say something.  

"Landon, my name is Doctor Vince Carter." 

"Please tell me sister is okay." 

"Landon, your sister was in a horrible head-on collision. According the EMTS, the car has nothing left of it."