Twenty-eight (Part Four)

°·Zayn·°

"The surgery was a success. Everything was on schedule and went according to plan." Doctor Harris told me, as he walked me out to the hallway. I sighed, relief running through my body, as I pushed my glasses back onto my face.

"That's good." I said, crossing my arms and looking into the room, looking at the sleeping girl in the hospital bed.

"Now, it'll be another three hours till she wakes up. So until then, you should get some sleep. Set an alarm on your phone." He insisted, causing me to raise an eyebrow.

"I'm not tired." I lied. Doctor Harris shook his head in frustration, which told me he knew I was lying.

"You need to sleep. Pull the chair up to the bed, rest your head, and get some sleep."

"I won't sleep until I know Alaska is awake and alright. Until then, I'll do what I've been doing." Which is absolutely nothing but worry about if my girlfriend was going to be okay.

"I'm not going to argue with you. But at least take it into consideration, will you?" He said, patting my shoulder and giving it a small squeeze. "Let me know if you have any more questions, or if you need anything." He added, before walking down the hallway towards his office. I crossed my arms, walking into the room, turning the chair to face Ali's bed, and looking at her.

She was still the beautiful girl I met almost three months ago. Even with the white bandages protecting her eyes, her hair splayed all over the pillow in a mess, and the hideous white hospital gown, she was still beautiful. She looked so peaceful just lying there, that it almost made me feel at ease.

Almost.

But no matter how much I hoped and prayed she'd wake up sooner, I have to let her be and recover.

I pulled my chair up to the bed, folding my arms and resting them on the empty space beside her arm. Just as I felt myself drifting off to sleep, Liam ran into the room, a shocked look on his face. "Zayn, we have a situation." He says, running his fingers through his hair, looking back and forth between me and the hallway.

"And that would be?" I asked, standing up from the chair and walking towards him.

"Perrie's here." He replied, as he walked into the room and stood beside me, as the blonde haired girl walked into the room slowly and looked at Alaska. She gave a sad smile, before looking at me and sighing.

"Hi, Zayn," She said, fixing the grey beenie on her head. "It's been awhile." She added, leaning herself against the door frame. I didn't know how to react to her just randomly showing up out of nowhere. Especially at this time. I looked at Liam and asked if he could stay and watch Alaska for me. He agreed, as Perrie and I walked out of the room and down the hallway a bit.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, crossing my arms. She glanced at the floor, before shrugging her shoulders. "Where's lover boy? Steve, was it?" I added, as she rolled her eyes and placed her hands on her hips in annoyance.

"His name is Steven," She corrected. "And we aren't together anymore." I chuckled, causing her to shoot me a death glare.

"What do you expect me to say, Perrie? That I'm sorry you and what's-his-face didn't work out?"

"Zayn-"

"Because I'm not. That's karma coming back to bite you in the arse." I scoffed, as I started walking back towards Ali's room. I heard Perrie's combat boots approach me from behind, as she grabbed my shoulder and whipped me around so I was looking at her.

"I didn't come here to have you treat me this way, Zayn."

"Then why are you here?" I asked, as she stared at me blankly. I rolled my eyes, removing her hand from my shoulder and sighing. "I haven't slept in almost twenty-four hours and I really don't have the energy to deal with this."