Chapter Fifteen; Dungeons

Justin

I made my way down the dark hallway of the Dungeons, shivering at how cold it was.

I was glad that I could come down here without Arnold and Sylvester suspecting I snuck off - they were waiting for the Knights to return, since they were distracted by a small riot in the village.

I grabbed a pair of keys from the hooks, passing by doors as I neared the holding cells.

Before I reached my destination, a conversation stopped me.

I quickly hid, narrowing my eyes around the corner and growing annoyed when I spotted Niall by a cell door.

What's he doing down here?

"I d-didnt steal anything." Louis' voice stuttered from the cell, "Please, you have to tell them! I don't want to get punished."

I rolled my eyes.

"I'm going to try and get you out of here, I'll talk with the king if I have to, okay?" Niall murmured, "I know you didnt do anything."

"Why's he saying I did? I dont understand-" Louis cried, "I used to think the world of him. What kind of Prince is he?"

My chest tightened a bit at that. I wasnt being cruel or horrible... I was doing good.

I mean, Jason's life is horrible, and they need to be punished for it. He deserves better than them... I'm doing the right thing here.

Jason would be relieved... right?

"It'll be okay. I promise I'll come back, okay? Just give me a little while," Niall promised quietly, "I wont let them convict you."

"Please come back... its freaky down here." Louis whispered.

"Cross my heart. Hang tight." Niall nodded, turning on his heels.

I quickly hid against the wall, making sure to hide in the dark corner as Niall made his way to leave.

Louis is just acting. He wants sympathy and he doesnt deserve it at all.

Once I knew Niall was gone, I walked to the cell, looking through the barred window.

Louis was chained to the wall; at my request, just to add on some form of punishment.

I cleared my throat, getting his attention.

Louis snapped his eyes up at me, gulping, "Your highness..."

"Why are you pretending to be a good person?" I asked, feeling bitter.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Louis frowned, "Please sir, I didnt steal a thing. I could never do that-"

"You stole his rights to live free and happy," I spat, "You and your horrid family treat him like scum."

"Excuse me?" Louis furrowed his brows.

"How can you sit their and feign innocence when your family are lazy useless swine, who make your servant work non-stop!" I barked, "You, the lot of you, none of you will be respected or needed when I'm through with you."

"What are you talking about?" Louis sobbed, "I dont deserve this!"

"And Jason deserves what he's gotten?!" I snapped, "Which one of you pigs slapped him? I saw the hand print on his cheek!"

I remember that day clear as anything - I didnt want to make Jason uncomfortable if I asked how it really happened, but since then I'd been itching to get back at the Tomlinson's. What a perfect opportunity.

Louis leant his head back, breathing shakily through his tears, "Th-This is about Jason? How do you even know him?"

"Answer me," I commanded, "Who hit him?"

Louis swallowed, looking at me, "M-My father." He croaked.

"Why?" I glared.

"I dont know!" Louis huffed, "Jason dropped something, he didn't clean it fast enough and my father cut his foot."

"Where's your father at?" I licked my lips, "Maybe I should get him here too-"

"This has nothing to do with me," Louis grumbled, "If you want my father, let me go and I'll-"

"It has everything to do with you. Your family cant treat servants like that. They are still human beings." I scoffed at him.

"Servant?" Louis huffed, "He is not a servant."

"Not your father, Jason-"

"I said, Jason is NOT a servant!" Louis shouted, glaring at me, "I may treat him wrongly, and use him to my advantage, but he is my step-brother!"

"What?" I furrowed my brows confused, "But he told me-"

"He obviously lied to you!" Louis yelled, "Now let me out of here!"

"Why would he lie?" I glared, "He... he wouldnt lie... we.." I was so goddamn frustrated and confused.

"I would lie to you! Youre a horrible, no good prince who puts people away for no reason!" Louis huffed, "And maybe I deserve some of this, for being mean to Jason, and not treating him like my brother, but I do NOT deserve to rot in here!"

I rolled my eyes and stood back, throwing the keys on the floor, "I will decide what you deserve. Until then, you'll have to rot in here." I scoffed, before storming out, faint shouting of Louis behind me.

The only thing I was concerned about now, was why Jason wouldnt tell me the truth...

Did he not want to be with me?