Chapter 26 - Wake up call

Sophie's POV

Numb.

That was the only way I was feeling.

Numb.

I wished I could have gone there. But I couldn't. I wishes I could have helped him. But I just couldn't. I just stood there crying in Nathan's arms. He never let go of me. No one did. My eyes always on the door. My gaze taken away once in a while with the doctors and nurses passing between me and his room.

Suddenly the doors opened and Dr. Avery walked out of the room. We all got out from our seats and the doctor walked towards us. "He's stable again" he said and we all sighed in relief. At least he was still alive. He was fighting. "Can I see him?" I asked the doctor and he nodded. I let go of Nathan who was still holding my hand and walked into his room.

The beeping noise coming from the machine connected to his body filled the room. I made my way to the chair next to his bed and held his hand tight. He looked so pale. Even more than he already was. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before bursting into tears.

After some minutes, I tried to compose myself. I had to be strong. He'll be fine. "Jay please, if you can hear me, stay with me, please I can't be without you, you're the only person I have left, I love you so much, please don't go" I begged and this time I didn't hold it in. I just couldn't. I let everything out. All my emotions. I started feeling so tired I just laid my head down on the bed and I felt my eyelids closing slowly before everything turned black.

I woke up with a light knock on the door and soon enough it opened just to reveal all the boys and the girls with sweet smiles on their faces. I was about to ask them why they had those face until Kelsey walked in with a cupcake with a single candle on it. It was still my birthday. Of course.

"Happy Birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday dear Sophie, Happy birthday to you" they all sang low. "Thank you, you didn't have to do this" I said with my head down fighting my tears. "Sophie, you deserve this and more, and I know Jay wouldn't have wanted us to leave you alone on your birthday" Siva said. I looked up at Jay and closed my eyes tight, letting a tear escape from my eyes and run down my cheek. "Come on, let's light the candle so you could make your wish" Kelsey said. The did it and put the cupcake right in front of me. "Go on, make a wish" Siva said. I nodded and closed my eyes.

'I wish Jay was awake" I said on my mind before opening my eyes and blowing up the candles. I looked back at Jay and pursed my lips together. The room stayed silent.

The door opened and Dr. Avery along with a nurse walked in. "Could you wait outside for a moment, please? We need to do daily check on the patient" he said and we all nodded. I kissed Jay's hand and got up from the chair before making my way out of the room. "Come on, let's grab something to eat and then we could come back" Max said and we agreed. I gotta admit I was kinda hungry.

We all went to the cafeteria down the road and ate something. i just ordered a sandwich with coke and caramel with vanilla ice cream. We stayed there for an hour and a half before going back to the hospital.

When we got there, Dr. Avery was already done checking Jay. "Is everything alright?" I asked him as soon as I saw him down the corridor. "It seems like his heart is getting back to normal slowly, along with his other organs" he said and I nodded. "Thanks" I said before going to Jay's room.

When I entered the room it wasn't empty. Jay wasn't alone. His family was there. They said they couldn't have come before because they were so busy, but they came once in a while and I called them every night just to tell them how he was. "Sophie" Maureen told me pulling me into a big hug. I felt her sniffle, and that's when I noticed she was crying on my shoulder. I just hugged her tighter and let her get everything out. After we pulled apart she shot me a weak smile before wiping her tears away.

Seeing his family like that just broke my heart. I noticed Tom and Sean in the corner with Eleanor crying between them. While Jay's dad was with Maureen. I couldn't take it anymore. I just walked out of the room and made my way out of the hospital.

"Sophie? Where are you going?" I heard Max asking me as I walked through the waiting room. I ignored him and kept walking. Soon enough I felt a hand on my wrist stopping me. I turned around and saw Max with a concerned look on his face. "What's wrong? Where are you going?" He asked me. "I'm just going for a walk ok? I just wanna think, clear my mind, i can't take it anymore" I said and he hugged me. "Can I go with you?" I heard someone asking and when I looked up I saw Nathan standing right next to us. I shook my head. "I wanna be alone" I said.

He nodded before saying "Just don't do anything stupid ok? I don't want Jay to wake up and find out his girlfriend is dead" he said and I nodded looking to the ground. "What?" Max asked confused. Nathan grabbed my wrist and took my wrist and removed the bandages. "Why did you do this?" Max asked. "Just leave me alone" I said. "Just promise us this won't happen again" Max said and I nodded. "I just wanna think, I'm just going for a walk, down the block" I said and they sighed and nodded. I turned around and started walking away the big building.

I walked and walked. It felt like minutes but it were hours actually. I just kept thinking about all the moments we shared together. Since the first day we met at the academy, all the things we used to do, the day he left me, the audition, the last minute we were together at the beach. Even the time of the accident when he held me tight to protect me. I missed him. His eyes. His voice. His smile. His contagious laugh. When he says random stuff that no one gets. The soft touch of his lips on mine. His hugs. Everything. I missed everything.

And then there was mom and Logan. My mom did so many things to raise my brother and I properly, giving us everything we wanted. And then she got sick and died. I promised her I'd take care of Logan and look at us now. He's in heaven next to her and I'm alone.

My thoughts got interrupted by my phone buzzing in my pocket. I saw the caller ID. Nathan. I sighed before picking it up. "Hello?" I said. "Sophie, oh my God, come back, we were worried about you, it's almost midnight" he said. "I told you I was going for a walk to think, I just wanted to be alone" I said. "Ok, but could you please come back now?" He asked. "For what? To seat there waiting for the impossible to happen!?" I yelled almost in tears.

"Soph?" I took a deep breath as soon as I heard it. There was only one person I knew who called me that way. I felt like my heart had stopped for a moment.

"Jay?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: WOOP WOOP! Found some time to write this morning while I was in history class 🙈 so here you go!

Thanks for all your support! Means a lot!

Love you, J ;) xx