A Door To Nowhere

Author :  madelinestanford

Status : Completed

Category :  Teen Fiction

Summary :

It was Rory's Grandma that made the two predictions; the day of her own death, and the day Rory would die

It was Rory's Grandma that made the two predictions; the day of her own death, and the day Rory would die. Nobody really takes Grandma seriously – that is, until she suddenly passes away on the exact date she's predicted.In a fit of panic, Rory decides to embark on a bizarre, crazed mission to live life to the full. Together with her friends, she throws the rulebook out of the window and tastes what the world has to offer; excessively wild nights, malicious revenge plans, and arrogant, beautiful boys. Rory thinks she has nothing to lose. But her family is slowly starting to crumble, and her friends are getting sick of her reckless attitude. There's only so long she can party before the terror of her deathday rolls around. Rory has to choose between bowing out disgracefully, with her name seared into the town's memory – or fighting the out-of-control girl she's become before it's too late.

Review :

Rory is stupid.

And so is Dorika (her grandmother).

This book is well written and it kind of points out the really reckless things people tend to do in the name of "life". I think that if they really want to celebrate life, they can own up to their shit and be a bit more responsible.

This book showed me a lot of things. First, it pointed out how in the need to impress certain people, you can end up losing yourself. Also, it shed light on how you shouldn't care about people who do not care about you.

Next, I realised that generally, people romanticise the weirdest things ever. I mean, in this book, Charlie (her boyfriend) was a complete asshole to her, and yet she found his arrogance and indifference strangely attractive. It was blatantly obvious that he simply did not care. This whole thing affected me a lot because she let herself get screwed over by Charlie when he was nothing but bad influence for her. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not judging him by his bad boy persona, but it was really clearly evident that Charlie was indeed completely unhealthy for Rory. He was a bad influence, unlike the bad boys in all the other teen fics I've read - they're essentially good people but here, it was clear Charlie was not.

Really though, all I could think of while reading this book was going to Hungary (I love this book's ethnicity) and slapping Rory in the face and asking her exactly what she was thinking. She does the stupidest things ever, seriously.

The last thing I realised was the need to have your family support you. I mean, maybe if Rory had been upfront about what was bothering her and told her parents, then they would've told her what had really happened to Dorika and she could've saved herslef a lot of further regret. That's why communication is important.

Anyway, I liked the ending, how she finally got her stuff together and she had some sense knocked into her head. It's a good book and read it if you want something different.

Rating :  6/10