Chapter Fourteen

I woke up once again to a white ceiling with a ceiling fan but this time on a bed and not chained. I sat up and recognized the infirmary that I slept in who knows how long ago.

"Morning sleeping beauty" I jump in the bed.

"What the hell do you want" I ask angrily, turning back to the unnamed boss once again.

"Just here to bring you up to your room to sleep for good. And yes I said your room. I'm not forcing you to sleep with me. Not yet at least." He grasps my good arm before pulling me up and out of the infirmary. He leads me down two flights of stairs and 3 hallways until he finally arrives at a room. He unlocks the door and takes me inside where he sets me on a hard mattress on the floor. He lets go momentarily while he goes over to my ankle and chains one of them, leaving the rest of my body free.

"I'm gonna be in here supervising you until you fall asleep okay?"

I ignore his statement and lay back on the bed. I stare up at the ceiling, waiting for sleep to take me again but my rumbling stomach won't let me.

"What's your name?" I finally ask, trying to distract myself from hunger.

"What's with the random question?"

"I'm bored and I can't sleep anymore"

"I go by Haru" he responds after a few moments.

"Okay Haru, what time is it?"

"It's 2:24am. Why?"

"Again, just bored and curious"

"Well quit being bored and curious and go to sleep" he says drowsily.

"As much as I would love to, I can't. Just go and sleep in your own bed already if you're tired"

"I can't. I have to make sure you sleep and don't escape"

"I'm wearing a chain on my ankle how can I-" He gets up during my mid sentence and bends down before swinging his arm down at my face.

"Just shut up and go to sleep! I'm fucking tired, this whole day has been me dealing with your bull crap and everyone else's so just fucking sleep" he yells angrily before grabbing the chair and throwing it across the room. My cheek is numb and probably red from his punch but I stay silent out of fear. I quietly and carefully turn onto my side not facing him and try to close my eyes so he could sleep.

"Fuck, look I'm sorry I'm just tired. You're right, you can't escape. I'll just leave. Night" he says before leaving the room. I turn back onto my back and sit up, looking at the broken pieces from the wooden chair. Better the chair and not me.

I count the time as it passes while I hold my throbbing cheek. I've never been punched that hard in my life. I feel so scared I almost don't want to escape. What happens if I'm caught? It'll be more than a punch if he finds out.

But i'll never go home if I don't try to escape. HOMRA is taking too long. Whether they want me back or not, I can't be here anymore, I have to go.

When I estimated it to be near 3:30 in the morning, I reached down at the ankle chains and tried my hardest to squeeze my foot out of it. It was no use and I was running out of time so I took off my socks, hoping that it'll make it easier to slip through.

While that was wrong, it did cause my ankle to start bleeding. And blood meant it made things easier to slide things through. So with using my own blood, I managed to slip my foot through the cuffs and put my sock back on. I carefully stood up, trying not to fall down and make more noise, and ventured my way to the door.

As soon as i open the door, it's all or nothing. Either i find a way to get back home or i get caught along the way.

I guess there's only one way to find out how it's all going to turn out. I carefully and quietly turn the door knob and peek my head out to look at both sides. Seeing nobody around, i begin walking as fast and quiet as i can to the nearest stairs.

My heart was pounding so loud I heard it in my ears. I could almost not hear anything as I scurried up the stairs but once I reached the next floor, it finally calmed down a bit. I was just one step closer to my freedom.

I limped my way around and Haruto wasn't kidding when he said basically everyone would be sleeping. I had yet to encounter a member that was awake. All of them were sleeping somewhere on a dirty old couch or snoring in a room.

Just as I was limping towards the last stair case until freedom, my legs finally gave out and i fell to my knees. I stopped breathing as I heard a groan from the hallway I was about to cross that was right in front of the stairs. I kneeled there quietly until I no longer heard a noise coming from that corridor. I stood back up and prepared myself for a quiet sprint up the staircase. Just as I took off and began up the stairs, I heard that same voice yell out "stop!"

I kept trying to rush up the stairs while the man was yelling at his friends to wake up and chase me. The adrenaline was rushing through my body as I tried desperately to run faster and faster to the last door that led outside.

Almost there.

Just a few more steps.

I'll be home soon.