Chapter Twenty Four

The day had finally arrived: November 30th. HOMRA was on edge all day, the bar was closed to the public and everyone was out patrolling or resting up for any kind of action. Not one single joke was cracked nor any kind of unnecessary fights.
Naomi didn't sleep one bit, in fear that when she woke up she wouldn't be home. Instead she spent the night pacing her room, trying to calm herself with music or books but failing both ways.
Any second, someone could barge through the HOMRA doors and take her. Or while she was in her room someone could break the window and take her. Maybe someone would even destroy the entire building including everyone in it. The possibilities were endless and her mind did not let her forget that.
Tatara managed to convince Mikoto to let him stay by Naomi's side all day, despite the "you can't defend yourself or her" argument. Still, he managed to win Mikoto over and be with Naomi. The only catch was that Yata would have to trade shifts with him.
"Uh Naomi? Can we go downstairs or something? I'm hungry" Yata asked, breaking Naomi's endless staring contest between herself and the floor.
"Oh yeah, I'm sorry I zoned out for a bit" she shakes her head slightly, blinking a few times before her tired bloodshot eyes met his.
"It's fine, let's head down" he offered her a slight smile before quickly turning away before she saw the blush on his face.
Over the past few days, he managed to finally be able to talk to Naomi without stuttering. However, he also managed to start developing stronger feelings towards her.
He knew it was wrong. The timing was awful, she was very vulnerable and on top of that, she was his king's younger sister. Every signal told him it was anything but a good idea to start liking her, but that never stopped his heart from stopping even just a little bit every time she smiled towards him.
Naomi aimlessly followed Yata, not thinking about the pain in her stomach from not eating in such a long time, or the weight of her body or the drag of the bags under her eyes. All she thought about was the feeling of insecurity she felt in her own halls.
"What do you want to eat?" Yata asked, yawning a bit. He had the shift of watching over Naomi from midnight til noon, then Tatara would take over. However he knew that as soon as it hit noon he would have to get to work instead of sleeping like he had the past few days.
"Anything is fine" she answered before laying her head down on the bar counter. Yata frowned a bit at Naomi but turned his back quickly to gather ingredients to make omelets.
Yata made omelettes as quickly as possibly, one because he was hungry and two, Naomi looked like she was just about to pass out. As soon as the food was ready, he turned to see Naomi laying on her arms with her eyes closed.
"Naomi? Wake up" he shook her slightly. She shot up from her position,her eyes bursting wide open. She looked alert, frightened almost as she looked around her.
"Naomi, chill, chill. It's just me" Yata panicked, grabbing her hands to try to get her to calm down. Her eyes immediately shot towards his as soon as she felt the contact. Her body visibly relaxed and Yata smiled slightly at her, content that she was no longer panicking. However, realization hit him like a truck that he was holding a girls hands and immediately dropped them, his face flushing red. The corners of Naomi's mouth quirked upward at the silly gesture before they turned down once again, remembering Fushimi.
She stared at the omelette in front of her as her mind drifted off to thoughts of Saruhiko. The two hadn't seen each other since their last encounter and despite it only being a few days, she felt terribly lonely. Whether it was the fact that she had been cooped up in her room all day or maybe because she was so used to his company at night that the few days they were apart felt much longer to her. Either way though, she couldn't do anything about. Everybody was working endlessly to make sure she and everybody around her were going to be okay.
Naomi shook herself out of her thoughts and forced herself to take a bite of the omelette. She was instantly surprised, not just by the fact that Yata was good at cooking but also how hungry her body really was. She quickly scooped picked up more of her omelette, shoving it into her mouth, she didn't care have ravenous she may of looked because for once in what felt like such a long time, it was just her and her food.
"Oh my god" she breathed out as she moved away from her plate.
"What?" Yata asked, looking up from his own plate.
"That was so freaking good. Holy shit, where did you learn how to cook?"
Yata smiled a bit at her expression, his heart beating a little faster the more he stared at her.
"U-uh my mom. She taught me everything I know"
"Well she did a great job. You'll have to teach me sometime because I can't cook for shit" Naomi said, running a hand through her growing hair. Just as Yata was about to open his mouth to say something, the squealing of car tires sounded through the air. Before Yata or Naomi could react to anything, the sound of glass shattering followed and everything was blown away.
Yata laid on the floor, instinctively shielding his eyes. He quickly stood up, looking around for the source. There, in the middle of the destroyed bar, was a large van. Not just any van though, as Yata looked more closely, it was HOMRA's van but with nobody in it. The front of the bar was completely destroyed, glass and wood everywhere.
"Kusanagi-san is going to have a heart attack when he comes home" and just as he said that, Yata himself was about to have a heart attack.
"Fuck, where's Naomi?"

Hi, yes first of  all, happy new year! Kind of sort of
Second of all, yes I know I suck. I was supposed to write during the break however I got lazy and then sick. Either way, i suck. Still, I wanted to let y'all know that you are all very important to me and always make my day whenever I see notifications from y'all.
Please let me know what you all thought of this chapter, it'll make me smile even more :)
Stay safe and drink lots of water!