you play his instrument ; c.h.

Calum

"Hey guys, let's take 5, I need a break." Your best friend, Calum, spoke from the stage. You were currently watching the guys rehearse for their home show tomorrow, located in a massive arena, which wasn't new for them.

"Where are you going?!" Michael yelled, as Calum ran off.

"To piss and get some food!" Calum yelled from side stage, his voice already faint.

"I'll be the bassist!" Luke offered, picking up the guitar and strumming some chords that did not at all sound good together.

"Luke, honey, please put that down. You are not cut out for the bass lifestyle." you suggested, walking on from the side of the stage Calum exited off of.

"Like you could do any better, Y/N," Michael scoffed, laughing at you.

"Well you tell me." You smirked, taking Cal's bass from Luke as you began to play the beginning chords of the current song they were practicing.

"Woahhh, we never knew you could play bass." Ashton said in awe.

"Yeah, not a lot of people do, not even Calum." You giggled. You played a couple more songs the guys needed to practice on before the guys decided they needed a break for themselves and headed to the dressing room in the back.

"So are you gonna tell Cal?" Michael asked, taking a sip of his water.

"Tell him what?" You laughed, not remembering your earlier conversation.

"Yeah, tell me what?" Calum asked as he walked into the room.

"Oh, nothing. Just that Y/N can kill the bass better than you." Michael smirked.

"Michael Gordon Clifford!" You hissed, your eyes widening as you stared him down.

What?" He asked innocently.

"What are you on about mate? Y/N is shit at bass. I've tried to teach her before." Calum laughed.

"Um, actually Cal, I kinda can play just a little." You said sheepishly, trying to look everywhere but at him.

"What?" He said wide eyed, his voice cracking a little. You could tell he was getting a little frustrated.

"Calum, don't be upset. You know I don't like attention on me, and I didn't want you to feel like I was copying you or anything, so I just never told anyone. Mikey was just teasing me about how I couldn't do it and I had to prove him wrong. You know how i get."

"That doesn't mean you had to LIE to me." Calum shouted, showing clear hurt on his face.

"Calum, I didn't lie to you!" You yelled back. "Why do you think I refused all those times when you tried to teach me how to play? You practically forced me into it. I played horribly on purpose just so you would think I sucked and wouldn't try to teach me anymore! So even if i DID lie to you, it wasn't my fault, but I DIDN'T lie to you."

"Whatever, Y/N." Calum scoffed, turning around and storming off.

Why was he so upset? You could play bass, so what? Why did he have a problem with that? You began rubbing your temples vigorously, trying to avoid the headache you could feel coming on.

"Well, that was eventful," you heard from Luke, shortly after hearing a 'shut up' from Ash, and a smack, probably in Luke's direction.

"Y/N? Is there anything we can do?" Michael asked with worry evident in his features.

"No, Michael. You've done plenty." You said harshly. Seeing the hurt on his face immediately made you feel like shit. "No, I'm sorry Mikey. It's not your fault. It's mine. I just need to do this alone." You smiled as you gave him a quick hug before hurrying out the door in search for your best friend.