18

Kid's POV

Throngs of people were gathered throughout the DWMA's black and white hallways, my golden eyes scanning over of them whilst my friends conversed in front of me. I remained silent throughout their entire conversation, my attention meandering over to the colloquies of the other students surrounding us. My pale arms, covered by the black of my suit, were folded across my chest as my raven black hair rested in my eyes, the stripes that I abhorred so much just barely escaping my vision.

"Oh my god! Aren't the Spartoi members so cool!"

"Yeah, what I wouldn't give to be one of them!" I managed to pick up a fragment of a single conversation, my eyes subconsciously rolling in annoyance due to their topic.

'We were all just ordinary teens until we defeated the damned Kishin, then everything went spiraling out-of-control,' I thought to myself sadly, a breathy sigh escaping my pale lips. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that we were able to defeat the Kishin Asura, it's just the aftermath that I'm not particularly fond of.

The DWMA became a popularity monarchy to which I was supposed to usurp the title of 'King'. Liz and Maka were quick to claim their seats on the throne as well, Liz taking the spot as Queen while Maka was basically her right-hand woman. The others in Spartoi followed suit and claimed their positions as well, their ranks depending on their social status, strength, and position in the Kishin battle. The rest of the school filed under the category as 'peasants', or for the select few 'peons'.

The lack of balance in the school's popularity system disgusted me to no end, yet I never really spoke out to express my opinion on such matters anymore. In fact, I barely talked at all since that day three years ago. I refused, I really didn't want a repeat of what happened nor did I want to somehow tick off Liz and or Maka in any way, shape, or form. Yes, despite the fact that I become 'King' of the school after I commanded the attack on the Kishin, I really had no power whatsoever. Liz controlled everything, she was basically the Dictator of the school to which everyone feared.

I sighed and brushed off my thoughts as I regained focus on my prior task, eavesdropping. I closed my eyes and attempted to once again drown out the chatter of my fellow Spartoi members, quickly hopping between multiple conversations before one finally piqued my interest.

"Oh my god, did you notice that Soul hasn't arrived yet?

"Yeah, I did! Maka's here, though, meaning Soul must be with his-," My bored eyes sparked to life, quickly gazing at my gossiping group of friends. True enough, Maka stood alone as she continued to talk with Liz and Patty. I eagerly awaited my peer's response, wondering where their conversation was going.

"Yeah, temporary partner. I can't believe he was stuck with-!" My eyes widened, recalling how my phone call with Soul was mysteriously cut off when I tried to figure out who his temporary meister was. I did my best to block out the interfering voices as I vigorously tried to hear the single name though my attempts proved to be fruitless. My pale body was repeatedly shaken, my name being reiterated several times. The person shaking me (presumably Patty's) voice mixed with the person's who I was eavesdropping on, the name said becoming unclear to my ears as a single sigh escaped my lips.

Upon opening my golden eyes I was met with an unfamiliar pair of turquoise ones, a scowl adorning the small girl's lips who stood in front of me. Her bleach blond locks lingered down onto her shoulders while the tips were dyed the color of her eyes. She wore a simple white blouse on top with black ripped shorts adorning her pale thighs, a pair of pink studded high tops on her feet.

"Oi, asshole, the hell are you doing just standing around? Class is going to start soon!" The girl gripped my hand firmly, trying to pull me toward the classroom to no avail. I leaned my back against the cold walls of the DWMA as the small girl continued to tug, my eyes lingering on her as I tried to deduce who she was.

'She's not strong so she's obviously a weapon,' I thought, trying to remember where I've seen her before. Not a single memory could appear in my mind, my brows furrowing in annoyance. 'She must be considered a peon at school if I haven't caught sight of her.' After a minute of deduction, I figured that she had to be my temporary partner, Evelyn.

"Slow down, hot stuff," I said in an overly confident voice, tugging Evelyn to stand next to me against the wall. "We have about eight minutes until class starts, and I don't plan on going until I hear the bell. That means you're going to stand here with me until the bell goes off, do you understand?" I mentally berated myself for acting so cocky, yet it's common knowledge that putting up a facade was the only way to avoid Liz's wrath. That and dating her.

Luckily, I was doing both.

"Fine, I guess," the blonde muttered while puffing out her cheeks and crossing her arms. I sighed yet again and unfolded my own, resting my pale hand atop her head. I rustled her blonde tresses and whispered a small 'sorry' to her, the girl's eyes widening at my politeness. I couldn't help the stinging sensation that my berated my heart due to her look unadulterated shock.

Although it may come as a shock to many, being an asshole truly isn't my intention.

Evelyn looked up at me with what seemed like respect, a small smile tugging at her lips as a similar one formed on my own. All good moments have to come to an end, although, mine always finishing due to the same wave of terror--my girlfriend.

"Kiiiiiiid~," Liz cried out in a sickeningly sweet voice, rushing over to my side. I looked at her with as much genuine interest I could muster, a small 'what is it' flowing from my lips. "I wanna know which lip gloss you like better!" Liz giggled as she pulled out two tubes of lip gloss, one shimmering pink while the other shined a glossy purple. Liz untwisted the cap and pulled out the lip gloss brush, beginning to slide on the sticky substance before the doors to the Academy barreled open.

Soul walked through the doors with a stunning girl following behind him, her h/l h/c hair flowing abaft her while bright e/c eyes seemingly shimmered. My eyes widened and my breath left my lungs at the sight of her beauty, a small blush brushing my cheeks as my eyes traced her y/h form. I do all that I can to distance myself from F/n, but moments such as these made it hard to take my attention away from her. All I want to do is close the distance, mend our hearts and--

--Damn. Forgot about the lip gloss testing.

Liz's azure eyes screamed jealousy as the attention was stolen from her, my golden eyes widening even further knowing that she was going to do something worthy of gaining back the student body's attention. I looked down to the blonde's lips to see that they were already coated in lip gloss, a shiver running down my spine as she refused to let go of my face.

'Oh no, oh death no, she isn't going to-!' And just as I thought, she did. Liz forcibly smashed her lips against mine, wrapping her slender arms around my neck to balance herself through the kiss. I closed my eyes as well, considering it was expected of me, and kissed her back, the student body in uproar at Liz and my actions. Once Liz pulled back a coy, yet devious expression was displayed on her face, a small giggle escaping her lips.

"So, Kiddo, baby, do you like the passionate pink or should I just wear the pretty purple?" the blonde asked while shimmying from side to side innocently. The clicking of heels grew in sound as I began to formulate a favorable response, a feminine voice interrupting my own.

"Why not try whore red? It seems to suit you better as it's not very bright, it's cheap, and it spreads easily too!" My eyes widened at the sight of F/n standing beside me, Soul standing behind her with a smirk set on his lips. My cheeks reddened as her perfume caught my nose and her arm accidentally brushed my side, my senses overloaded and overwhelmed by everything about her.

'It's been so long since we've been this close,' I thought to myself, considering the moments in which our lives were much simpler; when we didn't have to bear the burden that comes with adulthood. 'If only our lives hadn't diverged completely, I could've provided her with the happiness that she deserves.'

"Atta girl!" Soul chuckled in response to F/n's comment, wrapping his arm around the h/c haired girl's bare shoulder. My eyebrow twitched slightly in response, my glimmering golden gaze averting to the tile floor beneath me. The girl just giggled in response while Liz threw a minor hissy fit, it ending quickly when she was interrupted by a male's 'battle cry' as he sprinted down the halls at an alarming speed.

"F/n!"