22

AN: Hey guys, I cleaned up this story and divided the chapters so sorry about all the update notifications. Here's the new chapter!

~
Y/n's POV

"Nathan?" Liz squealed dramatically, the room falling into a distasteful silence. I had to admit, I was taken aback by the blond's unannounced appearance. To hide my surprise I nonchalantly flicked my h/l h/c locks over my shoulder, my e/c eyes hardening when met with Nathan's slim form.

Yea, I was mad.

No, not just because I was butthurt that Nathan came to see the populars before apologizing to me, which could partially be contributed to the fact that I'm avoiding him like the plague. But still, the rage I feel towards Nathan is easily eclipsed by the hatred the populars had burned inside me, it once again incinerating my thoughts and rationality. I felt my hands curl into tight fists as the inferno that consumed my mind spread further, my pearly white teeth gnashing at the inside of my cheek.

~

"Let's play a game!" Patty squealed, my eyes rolling in response. Noticing everyone's attention focused on her I quickly shuffled backward, eventually rising to my feet and slipping outside silently. Shutting the door, I placed my hands on the other side and leaned my body back, heavy breaths escaping my lips from the fear of being caught.

'Why am I even worrying?' I asked myself, gulping down yet another breath of crisp, night air, 'It's not like they care what happens to me. Why would they care if I left?' My mind wanders to Evelyn and Soul, the few left who care about me. I brushed off the thought of them and regained my breath. 'They don't need me dragging them down, they fit in perfectly.'

Sitting on the front steps of the mansion's entrance, I let the wind kiss my h/l h/c locks, it running its fingers through each individual strand as my hair danced in the night air. The starry sky above captivated my gaze, the stars forming beautiful constellations that felt tangible from where I sat. Outstretching my hand I felt nothing but the sweet breeze, the stars overhead forever out of my reach.

I feel like everything is forever intangible to me: my parents love, making friends, being normal. I'll forever be one step behind. I pulled out my phone to ease my nerves and frustrations, quickly typing in my password and opening my phone. My eyes widened at the date.

The end of this month is quickly approaching.

'What am I going to do?' I asked myself worriedly, 'I still have to collect 40 more souls, Sadie never cooperates, and to top it all off I have a temporary partner to deal with!' As if my silent prayers had been answered, my phone lit up with a call. It vibrated in my hand incessantly, Unravel playing through the chilly night air. Expecting it to be my mother as I had virtually no other friends, I looked at the number displayed across the screen to see it was an unknown caller.

Don't answer. A voice prodded at my mind.

Though I was advised wisely my thoughts continued to race, blood pumping harshly against my veins. Answer? Don't? What should I do?

Unfortunately, I like to make my life difficult.

I answered the call and held the phone to my ear, muttering a small 'hello' into the speaker. Muffled static was produced from the other side sending shivers down my spine.

"Who is this?" I asked hesitantly. My eyes quickly darted from left to right only to be met with the inky blackness of the night. Fear overrides my system like a virus, it shutting down the logic portion of my brain completely and sending me into a world of panic and 'what if's'.

"Tick tock Miss. L/n," A deep voice grumbled. "Time is running out."

"I don't know what you're talking about-," I began, interrupted by a loud and hoarse chuckle.

"Yes you do, you stupid kid." The voice mocked me, my eyebrows furrowing in annoyance.

"Excuse me, sir, I am not a-,"

"Did I ask what you think, brat? No, because I don't care." The voice grew grim, the static constantly interrupting the man's silky deep voice. I quickly checked my phone's cell service; it showing full bars. "Just remember, kid, constellations and silence aren't the only things that lurk in the dark." A shrill scream came from the other line, a chuckle following after. "They're coming, kid. They're coming for you,"

"Who?! Who's coming for me?!" I asked frantically, my e/c eyes searching the darkness for a figure. My imagination had taken over at this point, my mind creating creatures shrouded in darkness wherever I looked.

"You'll find out in due time, kid. You'll find out everything. Just... keep your back to the wall."

"Who are they? I don't understand-," Three small beeps from my phone signaled the call had ended; my body trembled. No, it wasn't from the frigid air, but from fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of them, whoever that was. I pulled my knees to my chest, burying my head in the small gap between. My mind wandered to their final message, 'back to the wall', my eyes widening in shock.

'Isn't that what you do when you don't want to get killed in a horror film?' I thought, my breath becoming shaky. 'Shit, are they already here?!'

Quickly. The voice prodding at me earlier muttered softly, the deep voice echoing through my thoughts.

Before I could move an inch I felt a large hand on my shoulder, the amount of pain shooting through me only eclipsed by the uneasiness I felt.

I choked down the fear that swelled inside me. There was no way I was going to go down screaming like some bitch in a horror movie. This asshat wants to kill me? He'll have to go through hell to do it.