45

//

~

The cold metal of my phone clashed against my warm, sweaty palms, my eyes darting throughout my room uncomfortably. I felt like the walls were slowly closing in on me, my lungs heaving in deep breaths of air as my heart picked up in pace. I felt like I was suffocating.

"You didn't forget about me, did you?" A gruff voice chuckled from the other line, the familiar unnerving static sound slightly delaying his words. "Or have you been careless, dear F/n?"

Oh, how I wish I could've forgotten the sickening whisper of the venomous voice telling me what I already knew; my life was going to shit. My body trembled as I made a feeble attempt at normal conversation, trying not to worry Soul who sat curiously on the bed behind me.

He can't know.

In that moment, I dug my own grave. By shutting Soul out, I shut out the warmth and care that somehow managed to hold me together, the shards of my broken heart finally falling into oblivion.

That suffocating feeling from before became even worse. The invisible hands tightened their tenacious hold around my neck as I completely submerged myself into the empty abyss known as depression. My arms itched and my skin crawled.

"I warned you before," The voice teased, "They were coming for you. Now they're here. I hope you're prepared." Before I could respond the line fell dead, my phone slipping through my fingers and plunging to the floor beneath me. I soon followed suit, my body crumbling down limply like a rag doll as my world faded to black, Soul's cries soundless as my ears fell deaf to the outside world.

~

I awoke to a world of blurred pastel colors, them nauseatingly loud and clamorous after being enveloped by pure shades of black. I yawned and stretched, my actions hindered by the tight red dress hugging closely to my frame.

"Welcome back," I could've sworn I'd jumped out of my skin, my body shifting to face the black-haired man sitting casually amongst the colorful world, the black rose in front of him in full bloom.

"K-Kuro?" I asked, a bright smile gleaming on his face.

"The one and only, Dearie~!" He cheered, standing up and carefully maneuvering around the small rose beneath him to give me a brief hug. "How've you been?"

"Pretty shit," I sighed, looking around the vibrant world in exasperation. "And since I'm now dreaming and it wasn't exactly night when I was last awake, I can tell I'm not physically doing much better either."

"Yeah, you passed out due to an anxiety attack," Kuro said casually, my eyes practically popping out of my head.

"An anxiety attack?!" I squealed, "That hasn't happened in years!"