Chapter 3

The first introduction that I started in my whole life went smoother unexpectedly. My first impression I got from him was that Orihara - I called him that initially - was a cold and a quiet person more than me. 

I didn't know what should I do on my first second of our friendship, so I just clung to him. Izaya looked annoyed when he found I was following all the way from the library to the corridor.

"Why are you following me?" He asked coldly, or so what I'd heard.

I stopped walking before smiling awkwardly. "I-I don't have anywhere to go?" I mean, friends always stick together, right? 

"Why don't you go back to your class?" 

"I-I don't know what to do there." I stuttered. Did he ask me to go back to class? What can I do there? Sitting like an idiot? "C-Can I be with you?" I beg him.

He sighed. "Suit yourself."

Orihara probably found me strange. I hardly looked into his eyes. My voice was barely heard. My face always turned red every time he spoke to me. In conclusion, I looked as if either I was scared of him or I liked him. Obviously, the answer fell on the first one. I didn't have any reason to fall for him.

We continued walking by the corridor, passing down tens of humans hanging out there. I tried to keep up my pace with Orihara so that I wouldn't be seen as awkward. I kept my best to be a good friend to him.

I thought I heard it wrong when Orihara suddenly jumped on an odd question. "Are you scared of humans?" 

"Eh?" I answered quizzically. "Ma-Maybe." 

"Even though you're also a human?"

"Ehm, yes?"

Then, he stopped and continued walking in silence. Back then, I didn't really think about it, but now that I remember, it did sound so weird. How he chose such a heavy word for human instead of people. As if, he was accusing me of being afraid of 'the species' rather than 'the group'. He called me an alien indirectly.

"Where are you going, Orihara-san?" I noticed he was in a direction I'd never walked in before.

Orihara didn't give me an answer. He treated me like a passing wind and quickened his pace. He climbed up the stairs, turned right, then walked straight across the corridor. I was just tailing him behind like a duckling to its mother.

Ah, Walking behind him brought me a sudden nostalgic feeling. Azami's face appeared with no invitation inside my head. She used to hide me behind her back whenever we're walking in the crowd so that I wouldn't be scared. She always acted like a mum when I never asked her to. She dreamt of protecting me forever from the enemy, as I remembered the promise.

Damn, I missed her so much. I wondered how she was doing at that time. She probably had no difficulty in finding a friend and became popular on her first day-

Bump! His sudden stop made me stumbled backward a little bit. I automatically rubbed my nose as soon as I regained my balance back. Why did he stop suddenly? I took a peek by his shoulders while adjusting my big round glasses.

"What? You also want to be my new classmate?" I realized we were arriving at his class. I looked up to see the sign, 1-A. His was one floor above than mine.

"Then, I should get back. See you." I waved my hand to him as I turned around. Whoa, I was embarrassed. How could I just blindly tail him like that? 

But, I failed to wear off my smile. As I headed back to my class below, I kept replaying the moment when I introduced myself in front of him. Gosh, I was so happy that I finally had a friend on my first day. I didn't believe that I could be that brave in approaching a stranger. I felt like I just won a lottery.