Chapter 31

"Keiko-chan! I'm so worried when you didn't come yesterday! Where have you been?!"

I squinted my eyes, frowning at Izaya's odd enthusiasm.

"Don't look at me like that. I'm really worried." Izaya smiled. "It's not like you to skip school."

"I have something to do." I lied as I avoided his eyes which is a wrong move to made in front of a strong observer. Izaya curled up a sly smile. Luckily, he didn't  ask about it though I'm pretty sure he knew something was up.

"Oh, by the way, Keiko-chan, you need to be careful. I heard there's a fight last night between two schools." Izaya skipped around and ran behind me, holding both of my shoulders. "I just hope you don't get involved in that."

Of course, I won't, though I might be involved a bit thanks to the misunderstanding at last night. If Mikage didn't help me, I would be in the hospital by now.

Speaking of her, where is Mikage? I wanted to thank her for saving me. I put Izaya's hands away from my shoulder.

"Where are you going?" Izaya trailed me as I stepped away from him. I looked back a bit.

"I want to meet Mikage."

"The bell is starting soon. You can look for her at the lunch break."

Izaya was right. I should have come earlier. Maybe I could approach her at lunch break. I turned around and walked to the class alongside Izaya.

Something had been bugging me off ever since that morning. It felt like a ball weighed down your stomach, but when you looked at it there was nothing in there. I clutched my shirt, trying to rid of this feeling.

I failed to meet Mikage on lunch break. Right after the class ended, suddenly the speaker above the blackboard let out a buzzing sound before an actual voice came out.

"Sharaku Mikage from class 2-B, would you please come to the principal office as soon as possible? I repeat-"

What? Why was Mikage got called by the principal?

"Keiko, you wanna go to buy food?" Shinra approached me as he hid his hands behind his back. I frowned.

"You aren't bringing your lunch box?" it's not like Shinra to forgot to bring his lunch box. Sometimes he even scolded Shizuo for buying food every time in the canteen, saying that homemade bento is much healthier.

"Something's happened so she didn't make a bento for me." Shinra laughed nervously.

"I don't bring my lunch box too so we're in the same boat." Mum was quite mad because of yesterday so she refused to make me bento on that day. Well, I couldn't blame for that.

Is it something from last night? Oh no, don't tell me she's accused of involving a fight. But she did that because she wanted to save me. I stood from the chair and immediately left the class.

"Keiko, where are you going?" Shinra shouted from the class as I slid open the door.

"I need to go somewhere," I replied in rush. I didn't hear any footsteps following which mean Shinra didn't chase me nor Shizuo.

I walked to the principal office by myself. Izaya has gone after the first class. I actually wished he was here to help me at least since he was good at talking or persuading. Furthermore, he was a good friend of Mikage too.

I was about to knock the door until I heard a familiar voice coming from inside. I froze. Trying to not make a sound, I stepped away from the door and stood just beside it. It's a good thing that there weren't any people passing by. I could eavesdrop in ease.