Chapter 17

"It's such a shame that the summer break ended quickly. I hadn't spent much time with Celty. We hadn't even gone to the beach. She shouldn't be ashamed of showing off her beautiful body to the world. But, wait. What if someone else gets interested with her body? No! I can't let that happen!"

I slurped my juice while listening to Shinra's babbling about his girlfriend. Two weeks had passed. The school started again.

Truthfully, I had a great time with Shizuo in this break. He kept his promise for accompanying me for the whole two weeks. In result, my relationship between Shizuo and me became closer than before.

But that doesn't mean he replaced Izaya and Shinra' position as my best friend. He was just being my close friend, that's all.

I met Shinra occasionally during the summer break, though he was so busy with his girlfriend that he rejected almost all my offer to hang out together. At least, he still spared his time to see me.

Unlike Izaya.

He just texted me. He didn't call me, let alone visit me a bit. Mairu and Kururi said that he went home, but he disappeared once again. They didn't bother to ask him, though.

Speaking of the devil...

"Keiko-chan!" I was pushed upfront due to the sudden hug. My mouth stopped drinking the juice. I let go the straw and turned my head, glancing at the guy with an innocent smile yet he had done a big mistake to me.

He didn't keep his promise. Snake.

I moved his arms from my neck, releasing his hug with force as I stood up. Izaya looked confused seeing my action but he managed to keep his smile.

"You didn't keep your promise." I pouted. Izaya laughed.

"There's something urgent I need to do."

"At least you can inform me first. You just disappeared, leaving me like that." I sat beside Shinra, hiding in his back. Shinra just continued eating his lunch box as if he had nothing to do with this situation. Well, he was, though.

"You're mad?" Izaya smiled slyly. Oh my gosh, he still hid his reasons from me. I stared at him before standing up and walked to the rooftop door. Izaya didn't stop me, nor call me when I passed him. Instead, he just smiled widely.

"You should apologise at least." I heard Shinra behind the door after I left the rooftop and closed the door. "She had her hopes high, but you turned them down."

"Well, then it's her fault for expecting something that hasn't happened too much. I never said I can make it 100%. At least I made her reached top five."

Thanks. Appreciate your effort for making as one of the smartest students in the school. I climbed down the stairs in disappointment. I threw my juice box to a nearby trash bin near the stairs.

The lunch break was still long so I decided to head back to my class and sat in there doing nothing. I rested my head on the table, thinking of last summer break.

Honestly, I didn't demand his apologise or his reasons. I just felt disappointed. I just wanted to spend times with him yet he left without saying anything to me. He only texted me. But it wasn't like I was glad if he apologised or told me why he was doing that. Whatever reason was it, I didn't know how to respond.

I just wanted to tell him I missed him. But the more I stared at his face, the more I wanted to cry. I moved my head to side since the glasses disturbed me. There, I saw someone standing beside my table in my direction. I lifted my head.

"What's wrong?" Shizuo asked me. I shook my head.

"I'm tired." I breathed out. "Can you tell the teacher that I'll rest in the infirmary? I'm not feeling well." I was fine, but I wanted to spend my time alone. Shizuo nodded. He patted my head, messing my hair.