Chapter 8

There was something on the ground the moment I stepped on it. It was solid, yet so small and round.

"Hm?" I lifted my right foot to see the 'thing' which turned out to be a beautiful necklace, with a small heart-shaped pendant attached to a silver chain. My heart jumped a bit, thinking I might break it. 

Thankfully, it didn't when I picked it. Not even a scratch.

"Whose necklace is this?" The closer I looked, I began to realize that the pendant was a diamond. How come someone left an expensive necklace at a corridor school? I spun around, showing it to Izaya who was just a few meters behind me.  

"Is there a name or a photo on it?" After approaching me, Izaya scanned the necklace. His finger slowly traced the pendant but he found no result. It was just a literal heart-shaped diamond. The lights from the window made it sparkle, thanks to the reflection.

"Should we keep this necklace until the owner will come for it?" I asked.

Izaya looked at the necklace with a blank face until he shook his head and put it inside his pocket. He strolled passing me like nothing was going on.

"What the heck? Izaya-kun?" I frowned.

"Don't worry, I'm keeping it." Izaya waved his hand casually. I sighed. There's no way he would steal it, right? I didn't want to be in any trouble because my best friend was a thief.

Ever since that day, I started to sharpen my hearing in case someone made a fuss about the necklace. But, no one talked about it in my class so either the owner decided to let it go (Really? A diamond necklace?) or the owner was from the other class. 

Of course, I didn't dare to go to each classroom, but I had a big help back then. 

It turned out that befriending Yume gave a benefit in terms of the connection. Yume had so many friends from other classes so it was a lot easier to ask for any news from her. Maybe she'd heard of someone who lost any belongings.  

I was right. Yume told me that someone from class 3-E just lost her necklace recently.

"What kind of necklace?" I acted like I didn't know anything about the necklace. I could have just told her that I found the necklace, but I decided not to. 

"It's a heart-shaped diamond. She said it was given by her late mother so it's very important." Yume sighed heavily. She rested her chin on his palm, staring at the class blackboard. "I hope someone will find it soon. She's been crying since it's gone."

I didn't want to make a false hope, so I zipped my mouth and created my own plan. Since the necklace was still with Izaya, I had to ask him. Then, I could give it to Yume, and she would lend it to the owner. 

That was supposed to be a simple plan until Izaya refused to give it.

"What? Why?" I frowned, confused by his rejection. "We have to give it to the owner."

"You're right. But would it be more interesting if we just lose it on purpose?" Izaya smirked.

I stared at him speechlessly, "Wh-What do you mean?"

"I want to see her reaction, knowing she won't her necklace. Or we can sell it. We can share the money between the two of us." Izaya chuckled at his 'funny' idea.

"Izaya, it's not funny. It's from her late mother."

"Keiko-chan, you're too kind." Izaya clicked his tongue. "If the necklace was that important to her, why would she lose it? She didn't take care of it properly. It was her fault from the start."