Chapter 9

I hadn't realized how fast the time had passed. By the next April, I would turn into a high school student. I chose the same school as Izaya and Shinra so I wouldn't be separated by them both.

I had a lot of expectations of the first day in high school back then. Attending the opening ceremony, get along with new classmates, and of course, a tiny hope to able to meet Azami there, despite how low the probability was. Well, nobody said hoping was a bad thing to do. 

But there was a slight problem.

"You shouldn't go to school tomorrow. Your fever has been getting worse, and it's not gonna go down by tomorrow." Izaya checked my temperature with a thermometer. I groaned.

"But I wanna go so badly."

"You have to get some rest, Keiko," Shinra put a wet towel on my forehead, staring at me lying down on the bed in a weak condition, "You're about to reach 41 degrees!"

"It's 38." Izaya corrected. 

"My point is, drink a lot of water and have some medicine. You'll be fine in a short time."

"I wish I can attend tomorrow's ceremony with you guys." I sighed, eager to change my lying position, but the towel on my head halted me.

"Me too." Shinra sat by the bed, "I want to introduce you to my old friend there."

"I wish I can see Azami too there," I mumbled. 

"It's already late." Izaya interrupted, "I think we should leave. Take care, Keiko-chan."

"Don't forget to tell me all about tomorrow!" I shouted before they left my room. As soon as the door closed, I sighed.

Curse this fever.

As Izaya said, The fever didn't disappear by the next morning. I admit I was feeling so disappointed to the point I lost my appetite to eat any food Mom served to me.

"Cheer up." Mom patted my back, "Rest well and you'll be fit in a short time. You won't miss school that much in the first week."  She had to go to work, so I was left in the house alone. The only thing I could do was reading some books and sleeping. 

It was such a boring day.

In the afternoon nearly dusk, Shinra came to my house. I was expecting Izaya's coming as well, but he probably had some business so he couldn't visit me.

"Your fever has cooled down. You might be able to go to school tomorrow." Shinra checked the number on the thermometer.

"Really?" I got excited. "By the way, tell me about today! I wanna hear your first day."

"I have two news!" Shinra lifted his two fingers. "First, we're in the same class!"

"Three of us?"

Shinra nodded.

I squealed internally.

"And second, I met my old friend there! And he's in the same class as us too."

"That's amazing! I can meet him often." The idea of meeting a new person was nerve-wracking despite it's one of my bucket lists, but I was curious about Shinra's old friend.

Shinra nodded before his expression changed to sorrow, "But his introduction with Izaya didn't go well as I expected."

"Eh?"

"I think you're lucky enough to not be in there on their introduction. They fought soon after that."

"F-Fight? That doesn't sound good."