Chapter 20

There was something that had been bothering me ever since we entered this high school around last year.

Izaya was getting more popular. As I could remember, girls weren't this brave in approaching him when we were in middle school. But now, they can appear suddenly and call Izaya's name with a cheerful and melodic tone. They even give him gifts or letters directly. Sometimes, I became their delivery man to Izaya. I was asked to deliver chocolates for Izaya when we had a valentine on the first year.

But seeing Izaya got rounded by girls made me unhappy for some reason. I couldn't find an answer. It just came. My heart would ache and my breath went hot. I would get angry suddenly, but fortunately, I was able to surpass it. I'm not the type of girl who gets mad out of nowhere because of something I can't tell. 

In this case, Kadota was the perfect place to be shared with. Rather than Shinra who always gave me an answer that related to scientific reason, Kadota knew exactly what I felt. But he didn't want to say it directly. We've been talking about my feeling for months, but he had never complained or grew bored with it. Though, he sometimes disappeared right after school.

"I think there's something you had missed." He answered when I finally got tired of this angry feeling whenever Izaya got surrounded by girls again to the point I couldn't get close to him often and I told Kadota about it.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"I think you haven't understood yet." Kadota shrugged his shoulders. His eyes gazed on the crowd beside the school gate. I leant forward to meet his eyes, still confused by his words. 

"What do you m-" I wasn't able to finish my words when suddenly...

"Keiko-chan!" I nearly screamed when somebody jumped on me and hugged me out of nowhere. My face flushed to red, something that happened to me almost every day.I was ready to visit a doctor anytime.

"I thought you were in school," Kadota spoke out.

"Oh, so you were waiting for me?" Izaya clutched his heart, his shirt I mean. "I'm touched." Of course, he didn't mean it. I hit Izaya's hand to let me go. 

"Let's go." I didn't dare to look into his eyes. So, I turned around quickly. 

Argh! I had no idea what hit me! I didn't like how I get nervous beside Izaya. I didn't like how I get enthusiastic every time Izaya appeared. I didn't like how Izaya got close with other girls.

Wait, don't tell me...

No, No, No! No! 

I don't want to think of it! 

Walking through the street, I looked at Izaya, staring at his face and his smile. Izaya is my best friend. I knew I was sharing the same feel when the main heroine fell in love with someone in the Shoujo manga. But, I didn't want to feel it. I didn't want to feel the same way. I didn't want to think of it. I closed my eyes, shaking my head. 

"What's wrong?" I heard Izaya's voice, smooth and husky. My ears turned red, but I held down my heart beat as I calmed myself. 

"Nothing." My voice trembled. I talked too fast. Izaya must have noticed there was something wrong with me. He held my hand gently, jumping my heart once again.

He just smiled which I hated it. 

I knew if I figured out my feeling to him, I would see him differently. I would want more. I didn't want that. At that time, I tried not to think of anything. I would ignore the rushing blood in my face, the quick heartbeat, and the butterflies in my stomach. 

But I knew I wouldn't hold it much longer. 

I began to notice that the girls really liked Izaya to the point they saw Izaya highly. They followed Izaya, told all their problems to Izaya, and Izaya would give them his pieces of advice. They thanked him every day. I knew it because I often followed Izaya and they hardly noticed me. It was a good thing because I was afraid I might anger some girls. You know, jealousy. I think I read too much Manga.