Chapter 6

"Meri hai" came a loud and confident voice and Mrs.Bhalla stared astonished.

Another surprise appeared from behind Raman, in the form of a beautiful female figure.

"Ye?" Mrs.Bhalla asked suspiciously.

"Ye meri...." Raman began to answer nervously.

Simmi who had been watching them from the door, rushed towards them as soon as she spotted the woman and recognised who she was.

"Mumma ye wahi ladki hai jiski photo maine aapko dikhayi thi. Ye wahi hai na bhai jisko aapne bhari mehfil me propose kiya tha aur saare newspapers me bas aap donon ki hi charcha chal rahi thi" Simmi expressed excitedly.

Raman stared at Mrs.Bhalla to grasp her  inner thoughts through her expressions. But he was unable to decipher her feelings as her face remained expressionless.

"Kya naam tha?" Simmi tried to recall. "Kuch Iyer tha...Wait...wait...wait...I am getting it. Haan Ishita Iyer" she clapped her hands on the discovery and repeated "Ishita Iyer naam hai na tumhara?" She pointed her finger towards Ishita and asked her.

Ishita looked at Raman and he blinked his eyes in response. She looked back at Simmi and slightly nodded her head.

"Or may I say Ishita Raman Bhalla?" Simmi said while moving her finger back and forth between Ishita and Raman.

Ishita gave a nervous smile.

"Maa" Raman called out on not getting any response from Mrs.Bhalla.

Mrs.Bhalla said nothing and went back into the house.

Raman saw his fear coming true.
Ishita stared back at Raman.
Simmi sadly glanced at her mother's retreating figure.

Mrs.Bhalla was going through a roller coaster of emotions.
She was excited at the news of her son's arrival.
She was overjoyed to have him finally in her arms.
She was surprised to see a little girl with him.
She was astonished to find that the little girl was his daughter.
She was hurt to know that her son had married without informing her.
She was broken to know that he did not make her a part of his happiness.

She held the table for support as she felt dizzy due to the hell of emotions she was going through.

The aarti ki thaali that was kept on the table shook reminding her of the promise she had made to herself  moments ago 'Aaj mai kisi bhi dukh ko mujhpe bhaari nahi hone doongi. Kyunki mai aaj bahut khush hoon. Mera beta aaj laut aaya hai'

All this while Raman was staring at the door expectantly. Seeing no signs of her return, he held Ishita's hand and began to turn towards the elevator.

"Aajaao bachhon" he heard his mother's call on time and looked in her direction.

She stood with the thaali in her hand and a huge smile adorned her face.

A similar smile reflected on Raman's and Simmi's face.

He looked back at Ishita ecstatic and urged her to step forward with him. She smiled and matched his steps as he strode towards the house. Simmi followed them.

Mrs.Bhalla made their aarti and showered them with flower petals.

Raman proceeded to enter the house with Ishita.

"Arey arey ruko! Bahu pehli baar ghar aayi hai. Mujhe theek se uska Grihpravesh karne do" Mrs.Bhalla said stopping them.

Just in time, the little girl in Raman's arms began to wail. He rocked her trying to comfort her but she did not budge.