Chapter 47

The sound of claps broke his trance bringing him to present from the past.

"Raman...Tu teh chaa gaya" Pammi patted his back and cheered. He curved his lips formally at her.

"Teri awaaz me ek dard tha Raman, jisne yahan baithe har ek ke dil ko chuaa hai. Dekh yahan ek bhi aisa shaks nahi hai jiski aankhein tere dard se nam na hui hon" Mr.Chadda pointed at the moist eyes of all those who had gathered around them.

"Kaash ye dard us tak pahunch jaaye jis tak pahunchna chahye" he wished looking in Ishita's direction.

"Pahunchega...Zarur pahunchega" Pammi whispered placing a hand on his shoulder.

Gossips were on in the Akash Ganga Society as to what must have gone wrong between the most ideal couple of the society. The fact that Raman and Ishita were not married was still under wraps but assumptions and presumptions had begun woving around them. The well-wishers truly wished that the lovers reunite while others who only cared for masala talk cared less if they came back together or not. Tonight the gossip mongers had got freshly served masala to keep an entire week spiced up for them as they had all witnessed the exchange between the two.

Raman's eyes had turned moist and tears were ready to spill when Mr.Bhalla stepped ahead and took him in his embrace hiding his son's tears and fears from the world absorbing them in his shirt and letting them soak his heart through the fabric.

Raman held his strongest pillar of support with all the strength he had and sobbed letting his guard down completely.

Meanwhile, Ishita escaped the scene under the pretext of checking on Ruhi. Before Mihika could follow her, Mrs.Bhalla stopped her and gestured that she would handle this.

Ishita rushed to the washroom in the community hall and poured out the tears she had held on so far. His song reverberated in her ears telling her about his immense love for her. She never denied that he loved her, she knew he did and she also knew that he loved her immensely. As huge was the truth that he loved her, so was the truth that he had lied to her that they were married. Her life was being juggled between these two facts and she was unable to decide which side was heavier and where she belonged to.

Seeing him hurt & in pain, hurted and pained her equally. But still there was something that stopped her from relieving him and herself from this pain.

Hearing the door open behind her, she quickly splashed some water on her face to wash off the tears. She was continuously splashing water on her face when she felt a soft touch on her shoulder. She lifted her head and looked behind through the mirror.

"Maa" she whispered finding Mrs.Bhalla standing close to her. "Oh...sorry...I mean....Aunty" she corrected herself as she remembered that she had no right to address Mrs.Bhalla as Maa.

"Ishita!" Mrs.Bhalla exclaimed painfully "Aunty kehke mujhe paraya na kar puttar"

"Parayi hi toh hoon mai. Hamare beech koi rishta jo nahi hai" Ishita sadly remarked.

"Aise na bol puttar! Hamare beech ke rishte ko na jhutla. Bhagwan gawah hai ke jis din tu mere ghar aayi us din se maine tujhe apni beti hi samjha hai. Ek pal ko bhi maine apne bachhon aur tere beech koi farq nahi kiya. Ye kehke ke hamare beech koi rishta nahi, meri mamta ko gaali mat de puttar" Mrs.Bhalla cried.

"I am sorry....MAA" said Ishita and fell in Mrs.Bhalla's arms crying like a baby. Indeed Mrs.Bhalla was Ishita's mother in all true senses. Her real mother had abandoned her and punished her for no mistake of hers, but here Mrs.Bhalla had abandoned her own son for the injustice done to Ishita by him.

"Na puttar na....aise rote nahi. Tu meri strong bachhi hai na" Mrs.Bhalla ran her hand over Ishita's back comforting her.

When Ishita's sobs mellowed down, Mrs.Bhalla gently pushed her out of her arms and requested "Ishita! Tere aur Ruhi ke bina ghar, ghar nahi lagta. Ghar wapas aaja puttar"