Chapter 1: The Start

Distortion has taken over every ounce of my body. I try getting up, but that doesn't help. My limbs ache, it's almost like I'm walking on the moon. No control. Hardly any gravity. Nobody to help you when you're screaming.

My mind is cloudy and loud. Shrill noises and bones breaking enter my mind out of thin air and start to make me have nightmares. But I'm not asleep. Half conscious and half unconscious. "Someone please help me!!!!!!" Is repeating in my mind like a broken record. "Please..................................................."

"Alex, Alex, wake up!"

Is that? Is there someone here?

My eyes flash open. Reality has come back to me. Now I remember.

My friends and I were in the woods. Nobody was around. We tried unlocking a portal to the past, but it backfired. The world froze around us. Everything, except for us and the portal. I'm in the future. But something isn't right. Nothing is moving, nothing is making noise. I haven't moved. I'm right where i was where I started out. It's confusing. In a way, it's like time forwarded or rewound and i just stood here while the time remote was in action.

I sit up to see my two friends trying to wake me.

"How long have I been out?" I croak.

"About 2 days. We're not sure. Our phones arn't working and here it doesn't get dark. We've got some theories." Moans my best friend Cora.

"2 days?" Runs rabid through my mind.

Cora and her sister Rose, tried helping me open the portal along with some other friends. The portal was a passageway to the past, but we messed up opening it, so instead we went to the future and froze it in the process.

Cora and Rose help me to my feet for the third time. This time i'm standing. The world is distorted and twisted at first, then my vision clears. 

"Where are the others?" I question my friends.

"They got away before the portal sucked us into the future." Answers Rose.

I rub my eyes and steady myself because i was about to fall over from dizziness. All around me is an endless number of trees, all evenly spread apart. Oak trees, maple trees, lots of willows, pine, evergreen, birch, an endless supply of them all. The odd thing is, that there are no birds, no clouds, no bugs, no berries, and hardly any grass. There are places for animals to live, but nothing is living inside of them. Burrows, nests, everything. The future is practically dead.

Right at that second, out of the corner of my eye, somewhere i never look, a glimmer shines through the trees, and then it's gone.