Prologue

I step over the threshold in my room and stop dead in my tracks. There's something very wrong. Everything is different, my room is different. I'm no longer in it. The walls aren't pink, they're the milky-white colors I saw once before. The beige carpet replaces the hardwood floor. The window that outlooks the parking lot is now there. Then, there is the DC Comics décor everywhere. The figurines, the posters, everything. It's all here. And my vision is again crystal clear.

What the hell is going on?

Walking deeper into the room, I half-expect the flash to fade away like it did the first time. But as I'm wandering around, it remains. My bed—or what was my bed—is covered in the DC Comics design. The nightstand next to it contains a digital alarm clock and a tall, half-full glass of water. No lamp or anything. There's a small dresser near the door, with a mirror attached to it. It displays the room I'm in but doesn't show my reflection. I run a hand over the top part of the dresser. It's made of wood and the color of pecans.

"Whose room is this?" I whisper.

I know for a fact this isn't my bedroom. I wish I knew whose it is.

"Ali?" a voice says from behind.

I swivel around to see Nevaeh looking at me. She's standing by my doorway in her cami and underwear, her hair a hot mess.

"Is everything all right?" she inquires.

"Yeah, just needed to use the bathroom," I answer.

Nevaeh nods. "Okay. G'night."

"Night."

Once she walks away, I look at the dresser, which is now my black one. My reflection shows in the mirror this time. I scan the room. I'm back in my bedroom, no longer the DC Comics room.

"I'll be damned," I whisper.

I start for my bed, turning away ever so slightly, the moonlight's beams gleaming against my face and making it glow a pale blue. Out of the corner of my eye, something catches my attention. Something about my face.

I lean forward more to get a closer look in the mirror. At first, I think it's just me. But it isn't. It's my eyes. They look...different. As I move into moonlight toward the mirror, I gasp.

That's it. That's what is different.

I shake my head. No, these aren't my eyes. They're supposed to be green, like emeralds. Everyone notices how green they are and that they look beautiful when light hits against them.

The color encircling my pupils is not green anymore. My eyes are blue.