Chapter 28

I walk back home, keeping my head down. James' words keep twisting around and burning in my head. Every time I hear them, I shut my eyes in red-hot guilt. We haven't fought like that in a long time. When we do, it's usually over petty things and both of us don't stay mad at each other for long. We forget about it and move on. This one fight, however...I have a feeling it's not something James is going to easily let go. And he shouldn't. I've been keeping secrets from the guy who's been my best friend since childhood. He has every right to feel hurt and angry at me. I'm not sure if he'll ever forgive me because of this. I've done bad. I've officially screwed up our friendship, and God knows for how long.

 I've officially screwed up our friendship, and God knows for how long

On Monday, when I'm on my way home from picking up a new bottle of eye drops at the doctor's office, I text James to apologize. I'm not expecting him to answer my message right away; he's at the university and, during his classes, phones are not allowed to be used. That doesn't stop me from tapping my fingers against the steering wheel and glancing at the screen every other minute. By the time I reach the entrance of my neighborhood, it's lunchtime and James still hasn't texted back. It's normally around this time he always takes a peek at his phone. The corners of my mouth turn down. This whole quarrel he and I had has been eating me since Saturday. I shoot him an apology, feeling horrible about everything, and he doesn't answer.

If he's going to give me the silent treatment, then whatever. I'm not going to talk to him, either.

When my house soon comes into view, seeing Nathan's cop car parked in the driveway surprises me. I'm even more surprised to spot him sitting on the porch, looking over in my direction. We make eye contact and he gives me a little wave. I wave back at him, feeling slightly confused as to why he's here. Although, Nathan's presence somehow relieves me. I pull up beside his car, turn off the engine, and get out to meet him.

"Hey," I greet. "How long have you been sitting here?"

"A while," he says, shrugging and looking up at me.

I flash him a half-smile. "Hopefully not the whole time I was gone."

"Nah, I was only here for five minutes." He smiles back at me, though it looks forced.

"So...what brings you here?"

"I found a few things out about Ben."

This sparks my interest now. "What about?"

"Uh, do you mind if I come in to discuss that with you?"

"Not at all."

I walk up the little steps, passing Nathan as he stands, and unlock the front door. Both of us walk inside and he follows me to the living room, where we sit on the couch beside each other. I sigh and get ready to ask him what he's found when he's the first to speak.