Chapter 29

A week passes by very slowly and nothing else comes up. No memories from Erika, no call from Nathan. Nothing. It's like everything has been brought to a complete hold since then, at a standstill.

When dawn breaks on Tuesday morning, the sun peeks from behind the clouds tinged with pink, half of its bright orange body visible. I sit at the breakfast nook in one of my apathetic moods, looking out the window at the still, quiet world. I spent most of the night sitting here, watching the sky change from dusk to sunrise. I've been burned-out, my mind in an absolute state of weariness. As the days came and went, I devoted most of my time looking at my journal again, desperately trying to find something. After a few days worth of reading, though, I'd grown tired of doing it and gave up. It's then I decided there really isn't anything else I can do except wait.

Which isn't a favorite option of mine. I always have it in me to get something done, no matter how hard or impossible it seems. Though at this point, I have no other choice; I have to wait.

My phone buzzes next to my coffee mug suddenly. I glance over and pick it up to read a text from James. There's a breakfast sale over at the Burger King in Fayetteville and he's going there to grab a bite to eat. Am I interested in coming along? He still hasn't even responded to the text I sent him last week. Part of me feels a bit pissed he didn't say 'it's okay' or 'no worries, it's all good', like he usually does whenever we get into a fight.

My fingers hover over the screen, about to reply 'leave me the eff alone.' What sort of game is he playing at? He's ignored me the past week and now he's going to invite me to eat with him? Instead of going through with sending him a snarky response, I pause and think about the whole thing.

Well, maybe it won't be such a bad idea if I do meet him. Since he didn't accept my apology through text, it might be better to say it in person.

What time? I ask and hit send.

I breathe, looking back outside. Within a few seconds, the phone buzzes again with James telling me in the next five minutes or so. I go into the bathroom only to fix my hair and quickly brush my teeth. Then I get in Mom's car and drive off to the Fayette Pavilion. My house isn't very far from the place as it only takes me about ten minutes to get there.

Before I know it, the car is parked in the Burger King parking lot. I check to see if James' vehicle is here before getting out. I'm debating on whether I should leave in case he doesn't arrive yet, and tell him I won't be able to make it today, or just wait. Unfortunately, his car is here. It's a few cars over from mine. I slump back against the seat.

Let's not put this off any longer. Just get it over with, I tell myself.

After leaving the car, I walk up to the entrance. As soon as I come inside, I see James. His back is towards me but he's wearing a bright red hoodie and beige khakis. He must be checking some stuff on his phone or something because his head is down.

I have to drag myself towards the table as my legs feel like lead. I swallow. Well, here it goes.

"Hey," I say when I finally arrive.

James looks up from his phone at me, although the expression on his face says he seems uninterested. Now I wasn't expecting him to be, like, leaping for joy at my presence or anything. But, golly, even the smallest of smiles would've been nice.

"Hey," is all he says before looking back down at the screen.

With a sigh, I realize that I don't have it in me to play this little game. Precisely the reason why I didn't want to come.