Chapter 2

"Are you girls ready yet?" Mom calls from the kitchen.

"Not yet," I answer back.

"Well, try to hurry up, okay? We have to leave soon."

After squandering ten minutes on wondering what I should wear, I decide to merely throw on something comfortable and simple—a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. I don't bother much with my hair since it was already washed last night, which makes it one less thing I need to worry about.

We're running a little late for my appointment. Mom wanted to be out of the house twenty minutes ago but Dad woke up at the wrong time and took too long in the shower. Now he's in a rush trying to get ready. Mom couldn't find the outfit she had prepared last night so she had to scramble to try to find something else. As for Nevaeh, however, she's been ready since early this morning. The only thing she had to worry about was making breakfast. All that aside, our entire household has been in a hurry.

Once I have my clothes on, I stop for a minute and place my hands on my hips, thinking.

Let's see. Am I forgetting anything? I think.

Well, I took a quick shower. I'm all dressed. My teeth are brushed. Fixed my unruly hair. I don't think I'm forgetting anything else.

Grabbing my purse and white cane, I walk out into the hallway and enter the kitchen. The smell of scrambled eggs and pancakes travel through the air, which smells amazing. Too bad I can't have some of that until after my surgery; I feel a little hungry. I scoff at myself. Somewhere close by, someone's rummaging through something. It sounds like Mom's shuffling through her purse, probably trying to look for the car keys.

"Are you ready, Ali?" Mom asks.

I nod. "Oh, yeah."

"Good."

"What are you looking for?"

"I'm trying to find the frickin' car keys. I haven't the slightest idea where I put them."

"Aren't they in your purse?"

"You'd think that's where I'd place them," she answers impatiently. "And I really don't have the time to—"

As if on cue, the sound of jingling keys fill the air.

"Looking for something?" Dad says as he walks toward us.

I smile while Mom clicks her tongue.

"Tim, you son of a—"

"Come on, honey. Had to pull your leg a little bit."

"But Ali's appointment with Dr. Jackson is in the next twenty minutes and we're already running—"

Next thing I hear are my parents kissing. I make a face, even though I can't really see them.

"Let's try to keep it PG-rated here, people. The kids are in the house," I comment jokingly.

Dad chuckles. "You know I love your mother."

"That's wonderful, Dad. I'm glad you do."

Footsteps from a distance pound against the floor and stop right alongside me. I know it's Nevaeh, with her usual scent of coconuts.

"Perfect, everyone's here. Let's go, we're tardy enough," Mom says.

We all make our way to the minivan, leaving to go outside and making sure the house is locked. I climb into the backseat, settling myself against it. Nevaeh hops inside as does Mom. Dad puts the van in reverse, then in drive. Soon, we're off to see Dr. Jackson. I grab for my iPod in my purse and plug my earbuds in, listening to Try by Pink. The whole ride there, I try focusing on listening to the lyrics of the songs, just to ease my mind a little. Nevaeh also lays a hand on top of mine and never removes it, which is comforting. At least for the time being.