Chapter 35

I should've known my parents wouldn't have let my escapade slide. I should've known that they had something in store for me this morning. I just didn't think part of my punishment would involve paperwork.

Earlier, right before Mom and Dad left for work, we had a meeting in the kitchen and discussed what punishments were going to be inflicted on me. My phone being taken away was one of them, which sucks since it was the only device I used to communicate with Nathan. Then the other part of my punishment was to grade my parents' students' papers for the entirety of two months. The worst part of all this is both of them teach different subjects at the school they work at. Mom teaches English, Dad teaches math, neither of which I seem to get right.

The sun's light shines into Dad's office, its beams penetrating through the open blinds and illuminating the dust particles floating around. I would've been lulled to sleep from the afternoon warmth if it not had been for the sudden sharp pain I felt in my wrist. I'd been clutching the pen too tightly as I was going through the paperwork. I let the pen drop on Dad's desk and move my right hand in circles. The pain subsides, but not significantly. I fix my gaze at the small striking wall clock my father has mounted above the door. Twelve fifteen. Nearly four hours since I've been here, checking and grading papers. I've graded so many, my hands need a break as does myself.

Just as I stand from the office chair, the doorbell chimes. I look up and stare at the front door, confused at first.

Who could be here? I think.

Then it takes me a minute to realize who it might be.

Oh. Nathan.

I leave Dad's office, heading straight into the foyer and unlocking the front door. Standing out on the porch with his hands behind his back, Nathan briefly smiles at me.

"Hey."

"Hey," I say, returning the smile.

"Is everything okay with you?"

"What do you mean?" I cock my head to the side.

"I called your phone three times before driving here but you wouldn't answer. I didn't know if you were all right."

I rub the nape of my neck. "Uh, yeah, about that...my phone got confiscated. I've also been grading some paperwork in my Dad's office since early this morning. I'm stuck doing that for two months now, so..."

Nathan pinches his lower lip like he's sealing off a smile. "Your parents punished you?"

"It's not funny," I mutter, crossing my arms. "Is everything done?"

"Yes, we have an arrest warrant issued for Reuben. I presented the evidence we found last night in front of the judge this morning and he granted the warrant. Officer Doyle is accompanying us in case things get out of hand."

I lean forward a little to catch a glimpse of his partner. There are two cop cars parked in our driveway, and in one of them is a young redheaded guy, whom I recognize as the guy Nathan was talking to yesterday at the police station.

I face Nathan. "Got it."

He exhales loudly, then asks, "Are you ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be," I reply, though I know I'm far from being ready.

"I'll wait for you in the car."

With that, he steps down the stairs of our porch and makes his way to his vehicle. I grab my purse from the coffee table in the living room and go into the kitchen where I write a quick note for my parents, letting them know there's one last thing I need to do and shouldn't be gone long. Then I walk out, locking and closing the door behind me. I sprint over to the car beside Doyle's, where Nathan is, and sit in the passenger seat.