Chapter 5

The lights on each side of the wall of the hallway shone brightly as I walked down it, giving off the feel like I'd entered a runway. It was incredibly long, too, with an endless maze of doors that led all the way down and stopped by the elevator. This was the right place. He told me his room would be on this floor, the last floor in the building. Knowing that I'd soon see his face again made my heart skip a beat. I was so happy. Happier than I'd felt in a little while. I was even wearing a special outfit for the occasion, an outfit he liked to see me wear when it was just us. It was underneath my raincoat.

The woman on the radio said today was supposed to be all sunny skies and no clouds for miles around. But, surprise surprise, it was overcast and rainy the entire day. Guess you can't always trust meteorologists when it comes to the weather. I should've known that. Chuckling to myself I continued down the corridor. His room number was 217. The last door I passed was 214. It wasn't it but I knew I was getting close. I looked over to the door on my right. 215. Almost. 216...there it was.

Number 217. This was the door. I took a deep breath in, still feeling butterflies fluttering in my stomach. I tapped on the door, still grinning to myself.

Get a grip, I thought.

I couldn't help it; every part of me was so elated to spend the night with him, being in his arms.

No answer came through the door. Maybe he didn't hear me. I knocked again, only when I did, the door opened by itself. It slowly opened all the way, revealing a dark room. I poked my head inside and looked around. I couldn't see anything. Hm, weird.

"Hello?" I uttered, checking the room some more. "Anyone here?"

Again, no reply. No signs of life seemed to be in the room as a matter of fact.

Why was the door open like that? Was he at all here? Had I come too early?

I stepped more into the room and searched for a light switch, keeping my hand close the wall. I flicked on the kitchen light. It cast a bright white glow, making at least some part of the area more visible. I set my purse on top of the counter and took off my raincoat, placing it next to my purse. I walked over to turn on the lamp that sat on top of the side table near the couch. It was when I fixed my little laced black dress that a thought came to me. He's screwing around. He's probably hiding from me and wants me to come find him. That's why he didn't answer the door. I smiled, tucking a long strand of my hair behind my ear.