Chapter 7 (continued)

I gasp, pressing my left hand over my mouth to keep myself from screaming.

"Ali?" Nevaeh says, looking at me from the kitchen.

My eyes dart across the room, unable to speak. What was that?

"Hey...Ali?"

I back away, stumbling into the dining chair, almost falling backward. The only thing in the entire universe that could've snapped me out of my shock was my sister's violent shaking. I blink stupidly and turn to look at Nevaeh.

"Ali! What the freak happened to you?" she asks, her hands tautly gripping me by the shoulders. "What's wrong?"

I shake my head and manage to say, "Nothing, I-I'm fine."

She isn't convinced.

"Don't lie to me. What's wrong?"

"I..." I what? What spur-of-the-moment excuse can I tell her that would sound at least decently plausible? "...I just remembered I left my glasses in James' car. I forgot."

Her eyes search my face for a few moments, then she relaxes slightly. "You shouldn't leave them out like that. The sunlight will ruin the lenses."

Well, at least she bought it.

I nod. "I know, how dumb of me."

I'm wondering if I'm able to hold it together for just a little longer. It's difficult, my mind is in some sort of frenzy. I'm surprised I was able to get ahold of myself earlier.

"Would you like me to call James for you? Maybe he can come and drop them off."

"Um, no, it's okay. I can call him myself."

"Okay. You still want dessert?"

"No. I've lost my appetite," I say.

"All right. I'll be back. Don't go anywhere."

As soon as she goes into the kitchen and is gone, I sit back down on the chair, shaking. I grip the end of the table.

What the hell was that? What happened there?

It all felt like I was in a dream, like the most realistic one I've ever had. I can still picture the living room and kitchen in that apartment. I can feel the horror of that little girl when all those cops broke in, all the commotion.

It couldn't have been real. It wasn't real at all. It was all a dream. Yeah, what else could it have been? Except, of course, my eyes weren't closed and I wasn't sleeping.

What was that little girl's name? Erika? I think that's what her name was. Do I know an Erika? I try to remember if maybe she's someone I knew back from my childhood years. Maybe someone I met at the park or at school. But I don't remember befriending any girls or having any friends that went by the name Erika. I place a hand under my chin. This by far is the oddest thing that's ever happened to me today. Extremely odd.

Erika. Who is she?