Chapter 37

After Nathan took Reuben's gun and placed it in a plastic bag, he led me back outside into the sunlight. He had me stay by his cop car while he walked over to hand the weapon to Doyle and to talk to him.

I stand with my arms crossed and lean against the hood of the vehicle, my back facing the sun. The sun is warm on my back, which feels good after being down in a dark and dank place. To be honest, I'll feel even better when I'm in the comforts in my home. I turn to look at Nathan and Doyle, who are discussing what's going to happen after this. I'm not really sure if I will still need to be involved in their case or not. I'm supposing I don't since they've got everything they need. I shift my gaze from the two guys over to the backseat of Doyle's car. In the back sits Reuben, his eyes cast to the floor.

Suddenly, he happens to look where I'm standing and our eyes meet. He stares back at me with a rueful expression. I flash him a small smile, but he doesn't smile back. He looks away and hangs his head low. I'm not going to lie, I truly do feel some sympathy for Reuben. He was a nice guy and I know he didn't intend to kill Erika and Ben. My view of him is blocked by Nathan standing in front of me. He places his hand on the hood of his car and leans against it.

"So...Erika's gone?" he asks.

I nod. No more memories come to me, no flashes of insight. I've finished her work and she's left me to live my life now. My eyes are well and truly mine.

"She isn't here. I don't feel her anymore," I say. Nathan continues to look at me. "It feels sort of weird without her. She'd tell me things about her life through her memories and through the people she stuck with. Now that she's gone, it just feels strange. I know it's a random thing to say, but..."

"Oh, Ali." He takes my hand and traces his thumb across my palm. "It's not random at all. She was the one who helped us find Reuben."

"Yeah." I look at our intertwined fingers. "So what now?"

Nathan sighs. "Everything's done and over with. For now, anyway. The only thing that's left to do is to press charges against Reuben, along with some other things. Then, after that's taken care of, he'll be going to jail."

"For how long?"

"Not sure yet. It'll definitely be for a while, though, I can you tell that."

There's a brief pause.

"How are you feeling?" I glance at him. He winces. "Sorry, that was a stupid question."

"It's okay. I really don't know how to feel. There are a million things I'm feeling and it's hard to pick just one. Though...on the lighter side of things, at least I'll have the English and math papers to look forward to when I get home," I say jokingly, running a free hand through my hair.

That makes him chuckle. "Well, it's better than you going through something like this all over again, right?"

"Oh, yeah. Hopefully it won't happen a second time."

We stare at each other for a long, long moment, drinking each other in. Nathan steps in close and takes my face in his hands. I breathe in his scent.

"I love you, Ali. I always have. I'll spend the rest of my days making absolutely sure you know that."

I lean closer, our foreheads touching. "Me, too. I know the past two months I've been a pain in the ass, but I love you with all my heart. I mean that."

"You weren't a pain. I understand why you felt the way you did when you thought I cheated on you with Marley. I just want you to know—"

I raise a finger up to his lips to stop him. "Please don't say that disgusting name. You and I are sharing a moment here."

"If that's what you want, then I won't say Marley Sterling."

"You just did."

He laughs. Nathan drags me to him and covers my lips and face and neck with kisses. They linger like the scent of him. I laugh, taking this all in. For a moment, the world falls away; everything around us all disappears and it's just us. I let him kiss me until I'm dizzy with the euphoria of being in the arms of someone who loves every part of me, no matter what.

Finally, we break apart and stand in a comfortable silence.

"You ready to go?" Nathan asks.

"Yes, please. Let's get away from this place," I answer.

We both slip inside his car and drive away. I don't bother looking back at the building, it brings too many memories. Ones from the past and now. I sit back against the seat and take a deep breath in, glad this is over for us. I want to leave all the bad stuff behind. Leave it here and not think about it again. At least for a little while.