Chapter 11

Okay, even though I vowed to myself to never, ever call Nathan, no matter the circumstances, I had no choice. Because, like I said before, I wasn't going to tell Nevaeh about the memories I've been having. She won't believe me. And I'm definitely not going to tell Dr. Jackson about them. I can only envision how the whole scene will go down:

I'd get myself checked in, he'd call me into his office so he can check on the eyes real quick before letting me speak to him. Once that would be taken care of, he'd ask me how everything was going and if I've been experiencing any side effects. I'd explain to him not really, but after my transplants, I've been experiencing little flashes of memories every now and then that don't belong to me. They belong to what I think might be my donor's.

Yup, that's a one-way ticket to the loony bin. It's the last thing I need, to have Dr. Jackson think I'm losing my sanity.

So, I ended up calling Nathan the next day.

He was actually a bit surprised I gave him a buzz. At first, he asked me the usual questions such as: 'How are you?' and 'How's your family?' I avoided them, trying cutting to the chase. I wasn't in the mood to exchange any formalities. I told him I really needed to talk and asked him when would he have the time. Nathan said we could meet tomorrow during his lunch break. He then inquired where did I want to go for lunch. I told him whatever floated his boat. I truly didn't care.

Now I'm sitting in my Mom's minivan I borrowed and I'm at the parking lot in front of a Chick-fil-A, waiting for Nathan to show up. The A/C's turned on high, making the inside very nippy. Goosebumps dot across my arms but I fool around with the radio as means of distracting myself. I stop changing the channels once a pop station comes on. A Lady Gaga plays through it, although it's almost finished. I decide to leave it there.

I feel very anxious, only because I'm afraid of what I'm going to say to Nathan. Also of how to put it so it doesn't come across like my words are that of a madwoman's. I shouldn't be nervous. Nathan's known me since September of last year, even though it's been a while since we've actually had a decent conversation.

But I still can't help but wonder if he'll think I'm a total nutjob. Knowing someone for some time doesn't mean anything.

In an attempt to calm down, my ears try focusing on the lyrics of the song that's now playing.

Am I wrong
For thinking out the box from where I stay?
Am I wrong
For saying that I choose another way?

It isn't helping. I glance at the clock, chewing on my fingernail. It reads twelve ten. Where the hell is he? He said twelve o'clock and he's not here yet.

I ain't trying to do what everybody else doin'
Just 'cause everybody doin' what they all do
If one thing I know, I'll fall but I'll grow
I'm walking down this road of mine, this road that I call home...

Suddenly, a light tapping sound raps on my side of the window. I gasp, nearly ripping my nail off. I look out and see Nathan. He's standing there in his uniform, smiling down at me. I crack the window open halfway.

"Hey, stranger," he says, leaning closer inside.

"Hi. You're late," I reply.

He chuckles. "That's your fault. You should've told me to be here on time."

"Har har. Why don't you go suck an egg?"

"That'd be a bit problematic since you want us to talk."