Chapter 36 (Part Two)

My heart does three backflips.

"WHO'S THERE?!" he roars.

I swallow, my body trembling. I take a couple more deep breaths, but they aren't helping me in any way.

"I know you're there! You can't hide!" Reuben screams.

I close my eyes, trying to prepare myself to face him. I've never dealt with a dangerous situation such as this before. Ever. I don't even know what the hell I'm doing, and part of me thinks myself crazy for going through with this. But this is more for Erika's sake than mine. It's all for her. That's why I chose to stick with my plan.

I slowly come from behind the wall and immediately stand across from Reuben, his gun pointed directly at me.

"Reuny?" Somehow my voice finds its way out of my mouth, miraculously coming out a lot stronger than I feel. For the moment, I'm glad.

A look of confusion flashes across his face. "Alexis?" We stand opposite of each other, not saying a word. He stares at me questioningly. "W-what are you doing here? How did you find me?"

"I went over to your place to talk to you, about some stuff. But when I showed up, your roommate said you weren't there. I came across a piece of paper you left in your room and found this address. I wasn't sure if I'd really find you here, but...here you are," I explain.

Reuben doesn't answer me. He just squeezes his eyes shut and lets his head hang low, the barrel of the gun lowering to the floor. A quivering breath escapes his lips.

"Didn't take you long to find me." His voice is barely above a whisper. He puts a hand up to his head and murmurs words I can't quite catch.

I risk an inch closer to him, careful not to make any sounds. "Why are you here, Reuny?"

"Why do you think?" he answers almost immediately in a low tone. "You should know, or else you wouldn't be here. You and your boyfriend have been sneaking around in my apartment, sticking your damn noses where they don't belong!"

Reuben then raises the gun again and aims it at my forehead, his hands rock solid. I still, my body frozen, the barrel of the pistol the center of my universe. Everything else around us ceases to exist. My throat turns dry and my hands sweat. I clench them into fists, my fingernails digging deep into my palm. On the inside, I'm barely keeping it together but I'm determined for Reuben to not see the fear written on my face.

"How did you know it was us?" I ask blankly.

He shakes his head. "I didn't. But I figured it had to be. You two were the only people interested in still pursuing Erika's case and searching for the criminal. Everybody else couldn't find who it was, couldn't find enough clues. They'd filed her case as a cold case. I actually thought I'd gotten away with it. I didn't think I would, but I did. Then again, I should've known. People wouldn't expect quiet and shy Reuben Baker to kill someone." Right after he says that his eyes widen, as if realizing for the first time what he's just said. Then his gaze shifts to the gun pointed at my head. He lowers it to the floor. "I don't want to kill again. Not again."

Tears stream down his cheeks as he turns away from me. He sits on a big box and starts weeping. I stand still, not knowing what else to do at the moment.

From my peripheral vision, I spot movement. I look to my right to see Nathan and Doyle emerge from the shadows with their guns out. Nathan gives me a look. I shake my head, signaling to wait. Then, I take small steps over to where Reuben's sitting. He's now four feet away from me. I squat down and peer up at him, even though he isn't looking at me.