Chapter 24

When the cab comes to a stop, I tell the driver—the same one I'd had on my first visit to Faith's place—to once again wait for me by the curb of the apartment complex and that I don't plan on being here for more than twenty minutes. I climb out, making a dash for her unit while taking two steps at a time. Once I come up to the front door, I bring my hand up and knock on it. It takes about a minute before Faith appears behind it, a surprised expression on her face.

"Oh. Hi, Alexis," she greets, opening the door completely. "I didn't know you'd be showing up here again."

"I know. I'm sorry for dropping by unannounced but I needed to come back for something. Do you mind if I come in?" I ask.

She shakes her head. "Not at all."

I step inside and linger by the tiny hallway while she closes the door.

She then turns to me. "What's wrong?"

"Well, it's about the guy Erika was seeing after breaking up with Ben."

"Oh. Him. What did you want to know?"

"When I first spoke with you, you said you had a suspicion there was something going on between her and Professor Kelly, right?"

"That's correct."

"Officer Yamamoto and I went to go talk to him a few days ago at Marlsgate and we discussed about Erika, eventually asking if he was ever involved with her. He denied having any sort of romantic relationship with her," I explain, trying my best to be concise. Faith's eyebrows rise but she doesn't say anything. "However, I could tell Professor Kelly wasn't being truthful. He seemed hesitant on answering our questions pertaining to her. Um, do you know if Erika had ever gotten anything from her lover?"

"You mean like gifts or something?"

"Exactly like that."

"Mm, let me think...well, she'd check the mail every Friday evening. I remember she would look through the stack of bills first, skimming through them eagerly; she didn't want me to look or even touch them. Apparently there would always be something addressed to her. Initially, I thought maybe it was stuff Erika was ordering from Amazon or Ebay. But it didn't seem like she did. She'd always flaunt and wave the things she ordered in my face. Maybe whatever she got in the mail was from her lover."

"Where would she go after searching through the bills?" I ask.

"Her bedroom. Erika locked herself in so she could see her mail," Faith answers. Suddenly, she jerks her head up to look at me. "Oh, that's why you came back, isn't it? To see if you can find the things she got."

"Yes, that's right. I think it's Professor Kelly who wrote to her. I wanna see if I can find some sort of proof to show him he was lying."

"Smart. Well, you'll most likely find it in Erika's room. You can search there if you wish."

I smile. "Great, thanks."

Turning around, I start for her bedroom, first poking my head in and scanning the room like I did the first time. It still looks the same as before, though it appears the space has slightly slimmed down. Faith must've been able to get rid of some of Erika's belongings.

Not really knowing why, I'm suddenly filled with hesitation. I don't budge from my position. Instead, I remain where I am. It feels very strange to walk into what used to be Erika's room and it shouldn't have to be. I've been here before, so it shouldn't feel odd. But it does, like I'm invading her privacy.

It's okay, Ali. At this point, I don't think she'd care. We're here to find evidence, a voice in my head tells me.

That's true. That is the reason for being here, to find proof Adrian was lying. Nothing else.