Chapter 36 (Part One)

There's nothing special about the building at all. It looks like it used to be some sort of hang out place once, maybe a club. Though it's been a long while since anybody's hung out here. Only one window from the front remains intact and an OPEN sign hangs from it. The rest of the windows are broken, all the glass is gone. No care has been given to the grass. It's overgrown, very dry, and the blades are a dead yellowish color. Rusty marks from the hinges are imprinted on the door frame, but the door isn't there. This probably by far has to be the loneliest and most desolate building I've ever seen. I can sort of see why Reuben would choose to come here.

Strangely enough, something about this area strikes me as familiar. Almost as if I've been here before.

Nathan and I sit parked across from the hang out spot, tucked into a corner, our eyes glued to the entrance. Even with the sun out, the inside is extremely dark and we really can't tell if there's anybody in there. But if this is indeed where Reuben is, we better make our next move and find him fast. Or else things won't end well for all of us. We both turn to look at each other simultaneously, our eyes meeting. Nathan's chest rises as he takes a deep breath in. He exhales.

"All right. Stay put, Doyle and I will be back." Just as he sets his hand on the handle to open the car door, I stop him.

"No," I say.

He gives me a confused look. "No?"

"Look, it might be better if I go in instead."

"Ali, remember what I told you earlier?"

"Yes, I remember. However, if Reuben is really inside and is suicidal, I feel if you and Doyle go in first he'll go through with killing himself since you guys are cops. If I do it instead, he may listen to me. He's seen me a few times before. I might be able to talk him out of committing suicide," I explain.

"I can't let you do that. You don't work with law enforcement for one thing. That's something I could get in trouble for. Secondly, you don't have a weapon to protect yourself with if Reuben gets out of control," Nathan counters.

"I understand that, but he's the one who killed Erika. I feel that I have to be the one to pry him out of taking himself out." He sighs exasperatedly, running a hand through his hair. "Please, Nathan, we don't have a lot of time. Let me do this."

It takes him a full five seconds to answer.

"All right. But Doyle and I are coming with you. We'll stay behind when we find Reuben. There's no way in hell I'm letting you go in by yourself."

I nod. "That's fine."

Nathan looks hesitant in letting me go, which is understandable. Even I'm scared out of my mind going inside, but right now I believe I'm the one to talk to Reuben. He might tell me what happened the night Erika was murdered.

"Let's go."

I reach for the door handle, getting ready to let myself out when Nathan lays a hand on top of my leg.

"Wait," he says.

I turn to face him directly. "What is it?"

His chocolate-colored eyes are locked on mine and for a moment, time ceases to exist. He brings a hand up to my face and cups my cheek, caressing my skin with the tips of his fingers. He leans down, hesitating to see if I'd flinch away. I don't. I have no intention of doing so. When his lips meet mine, I freeze. It happens so fast, it takes a second for my brain to process what he's doing. I don't move. I don't move because I'm terrified I'll do it wrong. I don't want to screw it up. But his lips are surprisingly soft, his touch light and calm. My head soon starts to spin. Is this happening? Is he really kissing me?