Chapter 10

After stopping at a Dunkin' Donuts to get ourselves breakfast, James and I head over to see Dr. Jackson for my appointment. The last two weeks passed by so fast. Nevaeh left yesterday to go to Australia with her friends, leaving me to be in the house by myself again. The house seems so quiet now that my sister isn't here anymore. I'd gotten used to having her company around, especially when our parents were at work. It's really strange not having Nevaeh here. Aside from James, I don't have anyone to talk to so I'm feeling kind of alone, which didn't help me at all last night.

Throughout the entirety of these two weeks, I've been having the same nightmare play in my mind over and over and over again. It begins the same way and ends the same way.

I always wake up at precisely one thirty-five in the morning, each morning, and never being able to go back to bed. My mind would become too frenzied and alerted to sleep. It's taking quite a toll on my sleeping pattern and I really don't appreciate it. I'm pretty sure my body doesn't, either.

Another thing that's gotten me feeling weirded out—aside from my eyes being blue and my family not noticing anything about that—is I'm able to see everything clearly. I can see all the buildings, all the cars, people, trees. It strikes me as odd that I'm able to see things now when normally it takes at least half a year. A small part of me thinks maybe it's the way my eyes are taking the corneas, and maybe I'm fussing over nothing, which can be the case.

But I still can't shake the feeling that something isn't right. And honestly, it doesn't feel like it is. Nothing's right. Everything feels off.

I yawn loudly, shifting in the passenger seat as I stare out the windshield. Even though my eyes are fixated on the road, I see James looking over to me again, somehow managing to drive straight without veering off. This is the third time he's done that. I can tell what he's thinking; I look out of it.

"You look out of it," he blurts out, looking back at the highway.

Told you.

"I am, James. I'm so tired, it's not even funny," I reply. No joke.

This morning when I woke up to take a shower, I cringed at the sight of my face. Bags formed under my eyes and my skin looked pale. It scared the crap out of my parents when they saw me like this and understandably so. I even scared the crap out of myself.

"Well, drink some DD's coffee. It's bound to give you a jolt." I know James means this as a way of trying to cheer me up but it's not really working.

"Lack of caffeine has nothing to do with my grogginess."

"Oh?"

"I've been having one hell of a nightmare these two whole weeks and I haven't been able to sleep. Hence, the baggy eyes and pale skin."

"Care to tell me about it?"

I hesitate at first, only because of my parents' reaction when I told them. But knowing there's no one else to confide in, I go ahead and spill the beans, explaining to him the hallway I was walking through in my dream. The giddiness and desire of wanting to see a man I was in love with only to find out I'd been tricked, pretty much the same explanation I gave my parents.

"Sounds like one hell of a nightmare," James says.

"Tell me about it," I grumble, crossing my arms.

"But, rest assured, that's never gonna happen. Not on my watch, anyhow. That person will have to get through me before they can hurt you."

I can't help but smile a little. "Thanks."