***

We sat in silence by the fire pit, watching the sky turn color and light. The smoke rose and a sharp high-pitched noise filled the air as the fireworks made their way up. A few seconds later...BOOM! was heard by everyone up on the rooftop, followed by more explosions. I watched in awe at how the fireworks lit with violence—white and red, blue and green. It wasn't long before the night air turned smoky, a dry and acrid smell soon accompanying it. It didn't bother me, though. I enjoyed being out here.

I glanced at Faith, who was taking a long sip of her Lime-A-Rita before setting it down on the arm of the lawn chair. She smacked her lips, then licked them, savoring the sweet flavor that remained there.

"Don't they look purty?" she asked before going into a fit of giggles. It didn't take much for her to become tipsy. Only one can.

I nodded, fixing my slouchy beanie. "They sure do. I wish every day was like New Year's."

I could hear the heavy bass of music that played in the room beneath our feet. Some artless hip-hop tune, I assumed. A sudden breeze blew, sending over the remnants of firework fume floating above our heads. Despite how cold it was, my body felt warm, buzzing with the lemon-flavored vodka in the paper cup I was holding. I curled my toes inside my Vans.

"Soooo," Faith started, a sly grin spread across her face. "Who's the new boyfriend?"

My lips betrayed me. The corners of my mouth tugged up. "I don't know what you're talking about."

She giggled again. "Don't play dumb, Erika. I may be drunk but I'm not stupid. You're hiding something from me."

"I'm not."

"Riiiiiight. Who is it?"

"Nobody, Faith. There's nobody."

"Won't tell me? Fine. You know I'll get it sooner or later. Is the guy at least hot? And smart? Like—" she hiccuped. "Henry Cavill hot and smart?"