***

After Spongebob was over and the commercials came on, my tummy growled loudly. I pressed my hand on it as I got up from the sofa to walk into the kitchen. I stared at the cabinets. I was really hungry but didn't know what to eat. Mommy hadn't gone shopping for food in a super duper long time. She's been busy with everything now. Even too busy for me. Sometimes I felt like she didn't pay attention to me anymore. I wondered if she still loved me. I made a face at myself. What was I talking about? Of course she loves me. She had to love me still. That's what Mommies are for.

I heard voices coming from behind the walls, from her bedroom. Then the sound of bags moving around.

"How much did you sell?" I heard Mommy ask in a hushed tone.

"After last night? Please. Practically the whole joint came crawling to buy this stuff. Four hundred, forty-eight grams at most. Each."

"Seriously? A pound sold? No wonder people like you there. When you go, you deliver." Mommy laughed.

I had no idea what any of that stuff meant. Whatever it was, though, it made her happy. I frowned. It wasn't fair. I used to make Mommy happy once, too, when she was sad or upset. We'd watch Spongebob all day long on weekends or go to the park to play. But now, Robert was able to make her happy. And I couldn't anymore.

I hated Robert. I hated him, I hated him, I hated him. He's the reason for Mommy being busy. He's been around in our apartment a lot. I don't like it at all. Not one little bit.

I grabbed the stool that was by the fridge and pressed it against the cabinet to climb up. I put my foot on the counter, then my other. I stood up, opening the top cabinet to see what food was left in there. I found a big box of Chinese noodles. I'd had too many of them. I didn't like them anymore. There was a can of corn, a bag of flour, and three cans of tuna. I hated tuna. I pushed the food aside and gasped, reaching all the way inside. I grabbed a tall can and turned it around to see what it said.

"Spaghetti and meatballs!" I said happily.

It'd been a long time since I had Chef Boyardee. I opened the drawers to look for a can opener. I couldn't find it. I wondered where Mommy kept it. I turned around to face her bedroom door. It was closed. Locked, too.

"Mommy?" I call. "I can't find the can opener! Where is it?"

"Not now, sweetheart. I'm busy right now."

I turned back to the drawer. Inside it was a really big knife. Ooh, maybe that'll open the can. I grabbed it and started poking the top with the end. It made holes, but that was it.

"Tartar sauce," I muttered.

All of a sudden, loud knocks pounded on the front door. I turned to see who made them. The curtains were closed, so I couldn't see. They didn't stop. They got louder and louder until someone yelled, "Allison Stryder, this is the police! Open the door!"

Huh? The cops? Why are they here? What do they want with my Mommy? I ran to her door and knocked on it. She and Robert were still talking.

"Mommy, there's people outside. They're knocking on the door."

"Sweetie, I told you not now."

"But, Mommy—"

"Go watch Spongebob. I'll be out soon."

I stomped back toward the sofa.

I wish Robert was dead! I thought.

Just when I reached the sofa, the front door flew wide open. I jumped and screamed as people with uniforms and guns came into the house. They all walked to Mommy's bedroom, knocking very loudly on it.

What's going on? Why is this happening? I started to cry. I ran and hid in my hiding place behind the sofa. I brought my legs up and hugged myself tightly, trying not to be loud.

"Allison Stryder, open the door now!" A man yelled.

The voices in Mommy's room stopped. Then I heard Robert saying bad words through the walls. I wish she would've listened to me.

"Allison, we know you and Robert are in there! Open this door or we'll break it down!" A lady spoke.

After a few seconds passed, the door opened.

"Put your hands behind your back!"

I peeked from behind the sofa. Mommy was trying to get free from the cop's hands, saying bad things to him. I turned back and hugged myself even tighter. I close my eyes tightly, tears falling down.

A hand touched my arm. I gasped, pulling away.

"Hey, it's okay," a policeman said to me.

"Where's Mommy going?" I asked.

"Your Mommy will be okay. Don't be afraid." I still cried. "My name is Stanley. What's yours?"

I sniffed. "My name is Erika."

"Erika, can you come out of there for me?" I sniffed again, shaking my head. "Come on out, sweetheart, you don't have to be afraid. I'm not going to hurt you."

He held his hands out for me. I crawled out slowly, coming up to the man named Stanley and hugging him.

"Everything's okay, Erika. I'll take you outside, okay? Your grandma's waiting for you."

"Grammie?" I whispered to myself.

I haven't seen Grammie since I was little. He took my hand and we walked out the front door together, where I saw her standing next to a black car. With one look at me, she came running up the stairs.

"Erika!" she said, crying.

"Grammie!"

I let go of Stanley's hand and ran to her. With her arms wide open, she picked me up, hugging me. I wrapped my arms around her, too.

"Oh, my sweet Erika!"

As we stood there, both of us cried, happy to see each other.