seven

I was awoken by my ringing phone at three this morning. seems like once a week, sams calling. I don't get mad, it's not like you can blame him. being a single father is hard. especially when you don't know what you're doing very well.

"al, please help me. she won't stop crying. I've tried everything, I need your help." I smiled faintly and sat up.

"I'll be over in ten."

"please hurry." He hung up and I turned to Nate. I kissed his lips lightly, which woke him up slowly.

"baby why are you awake?" I sighed and ran a hand over his arm.

"Sam needs my help." he nodded and looked at me with sympathetic eyes. "it's okay, baby. I'll be home within an hour. if I'm not coming home, then I'll text you." he sighed and nodded, leaning forward to give me a kiss.

I didn't settle for just a peck. my lips tangled with his roughly as my hand held his hair. he pulled away with a smile. "I'll see you soon, love." Nate rolled back over and I kissed his forehead.

I pulled up to sams in sweats and a sports bra, one of Nates tshirts in my hand. my arms got it on before I walked in the door. my feet were silent, just in case he quieted her down. but as soon as I got into the house, I could hear her from upstairs.

when Sam saw me he was nearly in tears. "come here." I took the baby, holding her close to my body as I bounced her back and forth. Sam walked away and ran a hand though his hair. he was shirtless and his tattoos were showing. forgot he had any.

"I'm going to take her on a walk around the house." I said over her whining. Sam nodded and then baby girl and I started walking. my legs put a bounce in my step and that eventually made her calm down. she accepted the pacifier but she was wide awake.

"this is your house, Anastasia." I said softly, looking into her blue eyes. she just stared back. over the last month, she grew a little. "you'll live here and grow up with daddy and aunt Al!" a smile flooded my lips. I could just imagine it.

Ana playing on a swing set, pushed by Sammy while Nate pushed our little demon. it sounded like a perfect day, of course Jack and Madison in there too.

"you'll have your room, and I'll raise you to be stubborn. no one says no to a princess!" that made me chuckle. I won't spoil my daughter like that, but I will Anastasia.

she just looked up at me. "should we sing you a song? will that get you to sleep?" her eyes were wide and awake. so we walked up to her room and I sat down in the chair.

my first try was to offer her a bottle, but she declined. then I started rocking and singing.

"if I die young, bury me in satin. lay me down on a bed of roses, sink me in the river at down. send me away with the words of a love song." I serenaded her little ears with a song I knew her mother loved. and that did get her to sleep. when I looked up, Sammy was there.

he was red eyed and just looking at us with a smile. "you're an angel." he murmured. I smiled and accepted his hand to help me up. it nearly made me fall because you have to be slow as fuck. don't want to wake her up again.

we set her in her designated side of the bed and then I faced Sammy. "how are you holding up?" he just shook his head.

"her parents are helping me with the funeral. I know it's been a while but I just, it's hard. everything I see reminds me of her. our child looks just like her. I miss her." a tear slid down his cheek. I stepped forward and brushed it away. then I took him into a hug.

he cried on my shoulder, venting all his feelings to me. it was heartbreaking. this whole situation was heart breaking. after some very long minutes, he pulled away.

"thanks al. I can't express how happy I am that you're helping me." I only smiled and patted his shoulder.

"Sammy, I'll always be here for you. no matter what. Nate too." he nodded and then smiled.

he escorted me downstairs and gave me another long hug. then said bye for the night. I drove home emotional. and when I crawled into bed, I held Nate like he was leaving. but I know he wasn't, i just didn't want him to slip through my fingers.