twelve

Nate called while I was driving through colorado, around eleven pm.

"hi baby." I said softly.

"hey babe. I thought you'd be home by now." I sighed.

"I know, I know. I want to be home but I went with Emily and Ben to a carnival and they didn't let me leave until we ate at Block 16." that made Nate laugh.

"why is that funny?" that question made me sound dumb.

"we all used to hang out there, way back when." I nodded and then pulled off the highway. my energy drink was running low. and I definitely needed it if I was going to pull another all nighter.

"it was great, I really enjoyed it." I smiled even though he couldn't see me.

"I'm glad you liked it baby. where are you on the road?" I looked around, pulling into a gas station.

"oh i passed Denver about an hour ago. Nate, I'm going to go grab an energy drink and let you go to bed. I'll be home before you know it."

"I love you." he said softly. I smiled.

"I love you so much." then we hung up. I took a few bucks and stuffed it in my pocket, then my
phone too. I locked my car and walked inside.

I walked right into a mother fucking robbery. a black masked man turned immediately and shot me in the thigh, causing me to fall and scream.

"stay the fuck down!" he yelled, stepping closer and cocking the gun again. I nodded furiously and leaned back, looking down at my leg. it was excruciating pain. my teeth were biting into my lip and i didnt realize it until i tasted blood.

"now give me the fucking money!" he rested the gun on the cashiers forehead and watched as all the money went in a bag. "give me all the cash from the other registers too!" my eyes scanned and I noticed I was the only customer in the whole damn place.

my teeth were biting into my lip so hard I tasted blood. it wasn't as big as the puddle forming around my legs. "do it!" the man yelled impossibly loud, making me jump. a tear fell down my cheek. please don't let him come over and end me. please no. please no.

I thought of Nate, my beautiful husband. I couldn't leave him like this. he was so important to me.

the robber snatched the bag and then turned to me. "did you call the police?" my head shook furiously. he walked quickly over to me and pointed the gun to my forehead. my eyes flew wide and another tear slid down my cheek. "let me ask you again, did you call the police?"

"no! no! please! I'm not lying, I swear I didn't call them." I watched his eyes roll and he moved the gun. except he shot me again, in the same leg. I screamed out as the sound numbed my ears and the guy escaped.

"my store just got robbed. we need an ambulance! this lady was shot twice and she's bleeding heavily now." when I looked down I saw two nasty bullet wounds that were spilling blood. the pain was unbearable.

the police arrived not soon enough. there was a very large pool of blood around me, and I felt sleepy. my clothes were soaked and I wasn't sure what was happening.

there was a little rolley bed and hands around me. voices swarmed around my head but it wasn't until we got into the back of the ambulance my fog lifted.

"please make the pain go away." I said, not even looking down.

"we are, Hun. what's your name?" a male said beside me. there was a prick in my arm.

"Alessandra." I replied weakly. then a face popped into my vision. he flashed a light between my eyes.

"are you allergic to any medicine?" I shook my head. then there was a snap. I looked over and there was a bag of liquid labeled 'morphine' on my IV. a minute later the pain in my leg faded.

"stay with me Alessandra. tell me about you! are you pregnant?" I shook my head. "any medical problems or past family conditions?" I shook my head again.

"am I going to be okay?" the guy smiled and nodded, his hand falling in mine. there was a poke at my thigh and I looked up. there was another man looking at the two wounds.

"do you know what blood type you are?" I bit my lip and laid back down.

"I think I'm AB or O negative." the boys eyes went wide.

"do you know for sure?" my head shook.

"no I don't." he breathed out and then went upfront to the radio. it felt like hours later we finally stopped and the doors opened.

many hands grabbed the stretcher and then I was being rolled. we entered an air conditioned area and then I was pushed into the ER.