eleven

"he was flirting." Nate sang to me, opening our front door. I rolled my eyes and shoved him inside the house. I set my stuff down, kicking off my shoes.

"he was being nice, baby." Nate only chuckled and walked into the kitchen. I took my phone and a sleeping Anastasia upstairs. I dialed Sammys sisters number and waited.

"Alessandra! long time no talk!" emily said happily. I chuckled and laid Ana in my bed. she was so cute, being almost 7 months.

"hi emily! I called to talk to you about something." she sighed.

"is it about what happened to Sammy? the police officers already called. but they said Sammy has a kid?" that made me chuckle nervously.

"Sammy and Stassie had a baby, Em. I thought he would've told you."

"no he didn't! we had to find out through the officer that arrested him. unbelievable." I nodded even though she couldn't see me.

"well they got engaged last year, and well... Stassie went into premature labor and she, uh." I cleared my throat. "she didn't make it." emily gasped.

"really? oh my god, thats so terrible!"

"I know but I do need to talk to you. Anastasia, the baby, she needs to go to your parents. the cop already said they agreed. the question now is how are we getting her up there."

--

I pulled up to Lori and Daves house, exhausted from the whole 24 hour drive. Nate didn't want to come, even though I begged him. he had to work and then had to help with some party thing?

so we did our little thing and I set on my way.

I grabbed the sleeping Anastasia and put her car seat handle in my hand. then I slung the diaper bag over my shoulder and walked up there. it was nearly nine in the morning, hopefully they were awake.

Lori and Emily met me at the door. "oh my god there's my granddaughter!" Sammys mom sang softly, looking at Ana. I smiled and walked inside behind them.

the steps I had to go up woke up the baby. emily took the car seat and Lori followed her into their living room. "so Al, how has it been?" i sighed and took off my shoes, shoving my keys in my pocket while I walked to them.

"good. everything's been good. except well, the obvious parts." emily nodded and smiled down at the baby while picking her up. ana gave her a blank stare.

then she started crying. "she's probably hungry." Lori said softly. I handed over the diaper bag and she fixed her a bottle quickly. it did shut her up.

"thanks so much for driving up here!" she said with a smile, looking at Em and the baby. I only smiled and looked also.

"it was no problem. it was a fun time. she's just a baby but I say it was a good first cross country trip." that made her laugh. a door opened upstairs and then a half naked sleepy Ben walked down.

"when did you get here, al?" he said raspily, coming towards me. he gave me a hug and kissed my cheek.

"just five minutes ago. I brought your niece." that stopped him.

"that dumbass had a kid?" he said, obviously surprised. I nodded and pointed over to Emily. he looked at the brown haired, blue eyed baby and sighed. "wow." then he went into the kitchen.

emily spoke up next. "hey, I meant to tell you. I'm so sorry I couldn't make your wedding! I felt so bad and then I just kept forgetting to call and tell you." I chuckled and nodded.

"oh it's fine. it was pretty crowded anyways." she smiled and then walked off, taking the baby with her.

ben came back into the room and stood by me. "how's it been?" I shrugged.

"it's been good." ben nodded and took a sip of his coffee.

"how long are you staying?"

"oh I was planning on heading back soon." he shook his head and put an arm around my shoulders.

"nope, you're coming with me to this carnival in town. let me give you a good time while you're in Omaha." it would be rude to decline so I accepted. even though my outfit was in no duty for carnivals.