thirteen

the doctors removed both bullets and stitched me up. they wrapped my thigh in a bandage and then started on a blood transfusion. apparently I lost nearly three liters of blood.

I wasn't able to go home until the blood was done and I was feeling okay. while I was waiting, I grabbed my phone from my side. it might have been soaked in blood for a short period of time, but is worked perfectly.

I called Nate. there wasnt an answer. I settled to texting him.

hi baby. uh, something happened at the gas station. there was a robbery and I was shot twice in my left leg. but it's okay now. I'm at the hospital and they said I could go home when I was feeling alright. love you, call me asap.

I sent it and leaned back, letting my eyes close from exhaustion.

I was being woken up by the doctor that stitched me up. "hey! your IV is done, so we're going to take that out and then you'll need to stay here for another hour or so to make sure you're doing fine." i nodded at him and yawned, watching him take out the needle and put a bandaid over it.

"I noticed your keys when we picked you up. you drove the jeep right?" I nodded. I decided to take Nates baby tonight. the doctor nodded. "we got it towed and its out in the parking lot for when that morphine clears up." he patted my hand and then walked out. I went straight back to sleep.

--

my eyes opened and a familiar face was there. Nate had my hand between both of his and his eyes were on mine. "hi baby." I said raspily, my eyes squinting at the lights.

"I'm so glad you're okay." he stood and kissed my lips, holding my face with a tight grip. I kissed back, glad to see him. when he pulled away he rested his forehead on mine. his minty breath hit my lips.

"I brought Skeez so he could drive my car home." my eyes looked around and found his. he smiled and waved.

"hi!" he was stoned.

then I turned back to my husband. "Nate how did you get here so fast? that's like a fourteen hour drive." he smiled.

"I bribed a cop to help me." I laughed and rose my hands putting them around his neck.

"you're terrible." he smiled at that and kissed my cheek.

I checked myself out while Nate and Skeez went for the cars. the nurse gave me a pair of crutches and the walked me down to the door. there I hobbled out to Nates car and slid the crutches in the back of the jeep. there was more open space in the jeep than the Audi.

when we were out on the road Nate wrapped his fingers with mine. "how do you feel?" my eyes turned from the outside scenery to him.

"tired, sore. ready to go home." Nate smiled and lifted the back of my hand so he could kiss it. my cheeks flushed. after six years with this boy, he can still make my heart race and my cheeks turn bright red.

we took a fourteen hour drive home, me falling asleep halfway through with Nate as my pillow. I woke up when we stopped for gas and such but other than that, it was a smooth sail home. 

we got home and Nate immediately went to bed, stripping down and crawling under the blankets. of course after he carried me up the stairs. he kissed me for a long time, his fingers playing with my hair the whole time.

he rested his back against me and I raised my hands, wrapping one around his chest and the other falling into his hair. "goodnight handsome." I kissed his forehead.