스물 여덟 (soonhoon)

for @ParkBaekyon ☄☄☄

<Soonyoung>

Again. Again. Again.

The sun had long faded from the sky, and stars peaked out meekly from the clouds littering the skies. A half moon seemed to try and steal his attention from the task at hand. Hands that seemed too pale to be his own reached for the phone connected to the stereo set.

Hard wood boards that covered the floor shined a little too bright for his tired eyes, and Soonyoung had turned off the lights in the front of the practice room. One of the black walls were filled with pictures of their group, along with their seniors and juniors. Soonyoung smiled faintly as he recalled all the memories but turned his focus back to the making of their new choreography.

It was just him and the music. The song that had been drilled into his brain from the continuous plays started. He felt the tension ease out of his limbs as he started. It was a smooth song, like the flow of a river downstream. As it progressed, the beat got stronger and Soonyoung thought of it as the transition from a calm river to the raging sea.

His body followed accordingly, thinking of new moves as he danced. Over and over he would stop to alter a move or add an extra step to match the song better. He heard his members singing, and it was somewhat comforting. It always was pretty lonely when he was alone trying to figure out the choreography for any of the dances. Soonyoung enjoyed company most of the time, but he needed to focus. Throwing those thoughts out the window, he scrolled the song right back to the start.

Focusing on his reflection and making sure the moves were sharp, he didn't notice the click of the door closing over the music or the small figure moving towards the stereo. He looked around, the movement of someone finally catching his eye after the music had been cut off abruptly.

The person he often stayed up with had sprawled himself on the couch that was pushed into the corner of the practice room. Hair messed up, two cups of coffee and eye bags prominent, he had obviously been working just as hard as Soonyoung. Woozi put the cups down, then picked up one of the cups of coffee a moment later and shuffled his way to Soonyoung's side. Pressing one of the cups into his hand, Jihoon smiled tiredly,"How about you show me the stuff you have for our song? I'll trade and let you listen to what I've got so long."

Too tired to answer, he took a sip of the coffee and made his way to the stereo, pressing play.

Soonyoung willed his tired body to work, one last time, just for his special music producer. Allowing the music to take over, he watched his reflection carefully for any mistakes. He stepped on his toes twice during the whole process and stumbled a few times throughout the choreo. Stopping his movements as he reached the bridge of the song, a slow whistle of appreciation came from Jihoon.

"That's gonna be a pain in the ass to learn, but it's gonna look great. You did really well of this one, just like all your others," he commented with a grin.

"Anyway, im tired as hell. How about you pack up and we can head back to the dorm? Also, a quick trip to the store couldn't hurt right? i haven't eaten since lunch."

Soonyoung grabbed his duffel bag and pulled out a jacket and shrugged it on. He stepped out into the frigid autumn air with Jihoon next to him. The bubble that encased them promised comfortable silences and tired remarks.

They, as two of the most sturdy foundations of their group, handled the added stress aside from being just an idol. Composing a song took weeks, and even one part of the song could take up to a week to choreograph. Responsibility to their members had them working harder, with more tenacity and wanting better results each time.

The adrenaline had run dry in his veins, and Soonyoung felt the familiar ache of his muscles settle in again. It was a never ending cycle. Wake up, practice, sleep, repeat. But he knew the fruit of his labour would provide for their whole team, so he pushed harder.

Hot bowls of ramen passed between them as they reached for two of everything. Jihoon sat himself down on a stool at a small table on the outside of the convenience store with a loud grunt.

"Sounds like you're getting old," Soonyoung chuckled.

"Never. I've got a whole family to take care of. No way i'm gonna get old just yet."

This was what he really loved about Jihoon. His determination.

Countless sleepless nights were under Jihoon's belt, but he still smiled and tried his best to be there for his members. It had been a whole year since the heart-to-heart talk during their pre-debut showcase, but Soonyoung suspected that he occasionally thought about what their leader had said. He'd seen first hand the breaking of Jihoon's face.

Jihoon was ready to push his way through any obstacle, and that's why every member of their team respected him so much. He had trained longer than almost all of them, and put in almost double the amount of blood, sweat and tears (shOUTOUT TO BANGTAN IM SORRY) that the rest had.

This Jihoon that he so admired, was a burning light in whichever life he touched. He who brought the most vibrant colours to a blank canvas. The he who could make a whole field of flowers bloom on infertile land. This was the person he loved so.

So he quietly wrapped his arm over Jihoon's shoulder, pulling him closer. Soonyoung allowed Jihoon to stay oblivious to that fact that he knew the constant limp his vocal leader had when he danced for long hours, or stayed up for consecutive nights. Soonyoung took note of the smallest details, because this was their composer, their vocal team leader, their member, their friend.

Jihoon would give until he had no more to give, and it was their duty to refill his bucket of water when it ran dry. This was Jihoon, the living ever-giving tree. Always ready. Forever giving. Never asking.

*

yALLL IVE MISSED WRITING SM AND MAKING A/Ns :((( okok im gonna try and update more bc i'm kINDA running low on inspiration bc i don't have updates from my boys and i'm really just hangin by a thread rn. SORRY IF MY UPDATES ARE REALLY SLOW BUT THE MOMENT I GET INSPIRATION ILL BE HERE TO WRITE I PROMISE!!! YES AND THANKS FOR 42K READS I WAS SO SUPRISED 🙆 thanks again guys! i'll be writing more soon!!!💞💞

*